Are 'Bad Adults' to blame for referee shortages?

theguru

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly believe it starts on the court/field/pitch, etc. Coaches at all levels in all sports seem to think that they are the next coming of Bobby Knight and are on officials constantly. That translates into players thinking they can mouth at the official and likewise spectators. Start penalizing them more. I was at a charity flag football game between Sacred Heart and Assumption recently and the way the "coaches" were screaming at the officials you would have thought it was the Super Bowl.

I am fully in agreement that spectators should be on a very short leash. All their admission price covers is a view of the game, not license to act like an idiot. Throw the bums out.

IMO, league officials and refs should throw parents out more that get out of control. I'm not saying toss every parent that makes a comment but ones that go over board or even have a comment after every single play should be tossed and maybe suspended for a few games.

Why aren’t they already doing this? Parents are the worst today.

This issue is a much bigger problem at the youth level than it is at the high school level. There is no accountability at the youth level so coaches can lose their mind and they have zero control over parents.

Good points.

Any solutions that you can think of?

We should also add that some guys just aren’t cut out for officiating and use parents and fans as an excuse. The ones I see often are poor communicators with coaches. Defensive with coaches. Want to be a hammer instead of an arbiter. Thin skinned.

We should also add that some guys just aren’t cut out for officiating and use parents and fans as an excuse. The ones I see often are poor communicators with coaches. Defensive with coaches. Want to be a hammer instead of an arbiter. Thin skinned.

If coaches acted how they should, an official being “thin skinned” would be irrelevant...