Are 'Bad Adults' to blame for referee shortages?

theguru

Adults (coaches and spectators) are definitely the reason for a shortage in officials in all sports. They're also the reason for increased fees as you have to pay more to get people to officiate. I deal with it first hand every year. In our league, coaches are encouraged to move on after a questionable call. Their arguing is not going to change the call. If it was a misinterpretation of the rules, then pull out the rule book and discuss it with the umpire. Umpires are human, and they're going to make mistakes. 1 bad call never decides the outcome of a game. A game is composed of multiple opportunities, not 1. Parents are also reminded to be respectful of everyone. At the end of the day, it's just a game for the kids, not you.

From a coaching standpoint, I have a strict policy with my parents and all coaches should. Do not worry about the other team's parents and coaches, and do not yell at the official. The only thing you need to worry about is your kid and our team getting better and is he/she having fun. Your yelling with opposing parents and officials does nothing to change the outcome of the game, and it just embarrasses your child and our team. Be a positive influence in your child's life.

My daughter has played in a couple soccer games where parents were not allowed to talk. They could clap, but that was it. Those were the best games for me as a spectator to enjoy. My daughter loved it too, even though you rarely hear me say anything during a game.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Statements that apply to this subject that I have heard or stated myself over the years.

"Play, coach, referee or watch - you get to pick ONE!" One of my favorite sayings to parents, players and even coaches.

"If they were that great at being a referee they would be doing it on Saturdays and Sundays." A reminder that we are spoiled with higher level skills and digital super slo motion, high definition instant replay.

"Yeah they missed it - but the there are hundreds of eyes on the play from up here in the stands. There are 10 eyes on the field at ground level. So they miss some that we we see sometimes." Seeing 5 or sometimes only 4 referees cover about 50 yards of field from side-line to side-line is hard. Even with the perfect coverage scheme they can not get every call right.

"I had a lot better and CLOSER angle than you did." A roller hockey referee to me while protesting a penalty that occurred at opposite side and corner of the floor.

"Did we get it right?" Top-notch MS referee squad after bang-bang goal line last play in playoff game. They had to make a call on a pass reception right at the goal line. They made the call. I was doing photos right on the goal line. I looked and showed them - even with 5 or so pictures of the sequence we could not tell. Had it been instant replay the call on the field would have stood. But they knew their call may have been off but knew they had to the call and sell it.

"They do not have see you in the morning. But they have to see them." A far away game. Some obvious biased calls. Response by former college player parent to my observations on some really bad calls. Lesson - its not fair all the time - especially on the road.

"Play like you need 11 yards and they only need 9 for a first down." My advice to players. Seen it, have it on tape. Refeees marking then remarking spots after comparing to the sticks - that were on the home-side of the field. Again, there is bias, live with it and know you have to play through it and play that much harder.

Every parent or coach can get 'stadium tourettes' (a term a coach used to describe his own mother's antics when he played) but some parents, coaches and players just do not know how to let it go and make such an issue out of suspect, bad or biased calls that it does ruin the experience for all.

After watching AAU basketball and school ball for ten years straight, I have seen many a "bad" parent. I have also seen many a horrible referee. Not just because they missed a call, it's there attitude, their lack of knowledge on the rules, and just pure laziness. Ohio did seem to have worse than ky in AAU basketball. We had 2 guys one time that reffed a 8th grade game so well youd have thought they were D1 college refs. Next game same tournament, two different guys , wouldn't even run up and down the court. Missed 50% of the calls. I believe the problem is just like every other job. People are getting lazy, and don't care about how well they do their job.

Most high school games have administrators from the schools attending. These administrators will rule with an "iron fist" with students attending a game. I say it is time they step up and do the same with any fan (parent, local supporters. etc...). Also, attempt to discourage the tailgating prior to games. I believe majority of schools ban it on school property and not much they can do about off campus. Coaches and administrators should strongly encourage them not to. Celebrate after the game. Coaches and administrators need to clearly define what is expected and enforce it, players ,coaches and fans. I would think those assigned officiating at schools like this would find it to be a good atmosphere to work

From a coaching standpoint, I have a strict policy with my parents and all coaches should. Do not worry about the other team's parents and coaches, and do not yell at the official. The only thing you need to worry about is your kid and our team getting better and is he/she having fun. Your yelling with opposing parents and officials does nothing to change the outcome of the game, and it just embarrasses your child and our team. Be a positive influence in your child's life.

Should be printed on large signs and hung behind every dugout for everyone to see.

Most high school games have administrators from the schools attending. These administrators will rule with an "iron fist" with students attending a game. I say it is time they step up and do the same with any fan (parent, local supporters. etc...). Also, attempt to discourage the tailgating prior to games. I believe majority of schools ban it on school property and not much they can do about off campus. Coaches and administrators should strongly encourage them not to. Celebrate after the game. Coaches and administrators need to clearly define what is expected and enforce it, players ,coaches and fans. I would think those assigned officiating at schools like this would find it to be a good atmosphere to work

I've never understood this in a high school environment.