Are 'Bad Adults' to blame for referee shortages?

theguru

Good points.

Any solutions that you can think of?

Unfortunately it would take at least one off duty LEO around to enforce officials throwing parents out who refuse to leave with the threat of a trespassing arrest. That would jack up the cost of youth sports but what else is there?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately it would take at least one off duty LEO around to enforce officials throwing parents out who refuse to leave with the threat of a trespassing arrest. That would jack up the cost of youth sports but what else is there?

I don't think you even need law enforcement in most cases.

The powers that be in each league need to come together, state clearly to everyone "we're not gonna take it," and make the Ref/Ump the ultimate Judge.

If anyone fails to leave their team forfeits and that parent is never allowed back.

I don't think you even need law enforcement in most cases.

The powers that be in each league need to come together, state clearly to everyone "we're not gonna take it," and make the Ref/Ump the ultimate Judge.

If anyone fails to leave their team forfeits and that parent is never allowed back.

It takes LEO from a liability standpoint.

No it doesn't.

You ask someone to leave, they refuse, you forfeit the game.

I like this.

A parent is out of control, you toss them. They refuse to leave, you let the coach and the other parents know they have 5 minutes to get them to go, or you're leaving, and as a result they're forfeiting.

I think it is a great idea. I am all for this.

I am disgusted at listening to parents at games. Parents wishing players on the other team will get hurt, or worse encouraging their team to hurt other players. Yelling obscenities at referees for tough to make calls, or even correct calls. I even heard a parent yell "I hope you and your family die in a car accident on your way home."

I umpired baseball and ref'd basketball for a number of years back in the early 2000s. It was getting bad then, but it is 10x worse now.

Absolutely does. If your kid plays for team A and he get ejected and won't leave team A gets ejected.

In theory that is great, but in practice I dont see that working.

Team gets kicked out because of spector, rest of teams spectors begin to riot (because thats what happens, as much as we say it doesnt/wont). You have 1 to 2 LEO, a site director/AD trying to handle that, it doesnt work, bad situation.