The one day early March 14th NFL Free Agency Thread

That's my point for the ones who still think Teddy may be a starter type. McCarrons numbers if he stays with the same numbers he had in his games played. Would translate better than what Teddy had in any season as a starter. Yet people thought of as Teddy as a young up and coming player.

As for 2015. I would hope McCarron didn't step in with zero experience and put up same yardage as Dalton in year 5 in his career year. Now his numbers in his games played do translate to similar numbers as Dalton if you take 2015 out. Not to mention Eifert didn't play in two of those starts and Dalton had him all year before his thumb injury. Plus 2 of the 4 starts for McCarron came in prime time games against playoff teams with a lot on the line. Even with that his numbers if averaged out would be very Dalton like and better than Teddy.

I think people thought Bridgewater was up and coming, because he was. 65% completion percentage, QB rating of almost 90, 3200 yards passing, and an 11-5 record and playoff birth as a starter in 2015, his second year. I'm not sure that Mcarron's numbers would necessarily be better over a whole season. The uncertainty from the injury absolutely should make teams pause for a minute. But I don't think you can reasonably say Mcarraon is a better option right now than Bridgewater given both players body of work.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people thought Bridgewater was up and coming, because he was. 65% completion percentage, QB rating of almost 90, 3200 yards passing, and an 11-5 record and playoff birth as a starter in 2015, his second year. I'm not sure that Mcarron's numbers would necessarily be better over a whole season. The uncertainty from the injury absolutely should make teams pause for a minute. But I don't think you can reasonably say Mcarraon is a better option right now than Bridgewater given both players body of work.

As stated look at McCarrons numbers. Those numbers, completion percentage, yards, tds, interceptions all would translate to being better if they stay at those numbers for a whole season. Not to mention he would have gotten more experience each and every week. Plus more games against Teams not as good rather than two against Pittsburgh, one at the super bowl champs, and a division rival in the Ravens. Plus Eifert not playing in a couple of those games. The only difference is Teddy did get to play two whole seasons. Two seasons where only his completion percentage was good. Yet he was looked at as up and coming. However since a McCarron is an unknown based off of only 5 games. Teams rather take a chance with what they do know.

As stated look at McCarrons numbers. Those numbers, completion percentage, yards, tds, interceptions all would translate to being better if they stay at those numbers for a whole season. Not to mention he would have gotten more experience each and every week. Plus more games against Teams not as good rather than two against Pittsburgh, one at the super bowl champs, and a division rival in the Ravens. Plus Eifert not playing in a couple of those games. The only difference is Teddy did get to play two whole seasons. Two seasons where only his completion percentage was good. Yet he was looked at as up and coming. However since a McCarron is an unknown based off of only 5 games. Teams rather take a chance with what they do know.

I'm not sure you can without question say Mcarron's numbers would translate better over a whole season. The only thing that is clear about the few games he played, was he effectively slowed down a high octane offense by roughly 1/3. I know he might have played good teams, might have been missing a weapon, but that's part of the NFL. Bridgewater put up solid numbers, in a less dynamic offensive system with poorer skill players (outside of his one season with a healthy Peterson). He saw good teams and bad teams too. Bottom line is Bridgewater has done it, and proven something. Arguments for Mcarron are pure speculation, assumptions and extrapolation over a hyporthetical 16 game season. And when teams have taken chances like that in the past, it generally hasn't worked out well. Scott Mitchell, Brock Osweiler, Matt Flynn, Charlie Whitehurst, etc, etc. That's why Bridgewater is getting more love than Mcarron.

I'm not sure you can without question say Mcarron's numbers would translate better over a whole season. The only thing that is clear about the few games he played, was he effectively slowed down a high octane offense by roughly 1/3. I know he might have played good teams, might have been missing a weapon, but that's part of the NFL. Bridgewater put up solid numbers, in a less dynamic offensive system with poorer skill players (outside of his one season with a healthy Peterson). He saw good teams and bad teams too. Bottom line is Bridgewater has done it, and proven something. Arguments for Mcarron are pure speculation, assumptions and extrapolation over a hyporthetical 16 game season. And when teams have taken chances like that in the past, it generally hasn't worked out well. Scott Mitchell, Brock Osweiler, Matt Flynn, Charlie Whitehurst, etc, etc. That's why Bridgewater is getting more love than Mcarron.

I agree and I even said since he is an unknown it's not surprising why in this off season for why he can't find a team with so many qbs available.

You are right we have no idea how a 16 game season would have played out. He could have done better, worst or stayed the same. But let's say he stayed the same. Based off 5 games since he basically played the whole 1st Pittsburgh game since Dalton got hurt early. If you take his averages for those 5 whole games played and average them out for a whole season. His numbers would be.

3340 yards passing. 22 tds 10 interceptions, a completion percentage of 64%, a qb rating of 95. Those numbers would be better than Daltons in 5 of Daltons 7 seasons and better than Teddys best two seasons. You would assume he would get better each year with more experience after that. I have no idea how he would do elsewhere. However for me stuff like that and accounting who he played and with no experience. Is why I think he would be successful here and why I wanted him over Dalton. But as we both have stated no way to know for sure unless he gets the chance.

If I am McCarron going to New England is a no brainer if there is no starting opportunity available. Just being a back up there adds credibility.

Without a doubt. Not to mention, Brady will be 41 next season. I know Brady keeps saying he wants to play another 4 or 5 years, but saying and doing are two different things. The NE starting job will be available sooner than later.

If I am McCarron going to New England is a no brainer if there is no starting opportunity available. Just being a back up there adds credibility.

Agreed! If he is going to be a backup I would go to New England or Arizona. Bradford always gets hurt. Which by the way Bradford has to have made more money than anyone in NFL history for really never doing anything. He has basically been an average NFL QB who gets hurt a lot, but has been paid like a top QB his whole career.