The one day early March 14th NFL Free Agency Thread

Browns bringing in Carlos Hyde is a sneaky good deal. Hyde is in the top tier of running backs in the league and has been extremely productive in SF on a bad team. I dont think this changes who they are going after at 1. I think it should be Barkley, but Hyde is definitely a #1 back. If they do draft Barkley it will be interesting to see how they split those reps.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at his numbers. His numbers in those starts translate to be better than Teddy Bridgewater's numbers were in his two seasons of starting. Yet some still try to say Bridgewater can be a starter in this league. In fact his numbers were very Dalton like if you take out Dalton's 2015 season. However unlike a Dalton, or even a Keenum now. He has never had a full season to show how he would do over a full season. So your right it does make it risky to sign him. Especially in a year like this with so many other options available.

I don't know that his numbers translate to much. In his 3 starts in the regular season at the end of 2015, while he had a decent completion percentage, and didn't through any picks, the Bengals offense was way down. He only averaged a little over 180 yards passing, and the Bengals offense averaged 100 yards less per game than they did with Daulton. And his college career was basically that of a game manager, surrounded by a strong running game, and NFL caliber players around him.

Browns bringing in Carlos Hyde is a sneaky good deal. Hyde is in the top tier of running backs in the league and has been extremely productive in SF on a bad team. I dont think this changes who they are going after at 1. I think it should be Barkley, but Hyde is definitely a #1 back. If they do draft Barkley it will be interesting to see how they split those reps.

I dont view him as a top tier RB but a notch under that tier. When healthy I think this is a great move for them. Theyre slowly putting pieces on that offense.

I dont view him as a top tier RB but a notch under that tier. When healthy I think this is a great move for them. Theyre slowly putting pieces on that offense.

I think Hyde is a top 15 back in the league. He’s not in the elite class with Bell, Zeke, etc. but he’s a stud for sure. A Barkley/ Hyde 1/2 punch would arguably be the best in the league (assuming Barkley is who we think he is). I don’t recognize the team that sits on the shores of Lake Erie.

Seems like there is a lot of movement this year, much more than in years past. Bigger names, and bigger contracts. I don't usually find the NFL free agent period all that compelling, and the offseason has been more about the draft. It's much more fun to follow this year.

Seems like there is a lot of movement this year, much more than in years past. Bigger names, and bigger contracts. I don't usually find the NFL free agent period all that compelling, and the offseason has been more about the draft. It's much more fun to follow this year.

Contracts seem to go higher every year.

Giants just made Nate Solder they highest paid lineman in theNFL. He isn't the best in the NFL, but he was the best LT available.

Too many threads going on the same stuff. This year practically each team could of had their own free agency thread.

You are right, Grizz, John Dorsey's moves should not be considered in isolation. He is rebuilding a team with little talent. However, I don't know if "slowly" is exactly right either. By the time the draft is over, the Browns are going to be a lot different than they were last year in some key positions--QB, RB, WR, O-line already. If they pick up a DB and a pass rusher in the draft, the defense will be strong.

I think Hyde is a top 15 back in the league. He’s not in the elite class with Bell, Zeke, etc. but he’s a stud for sure. A Barkley/ Hyde 1/2 punch would arguably be the best in the league (assuming Barkley is who we think he is). I don’t recognize the team that sits on the shores of Lake Erie.

Yeah, who can tell what's going on in Buffalo these days? :smug:

In reality, this is what Sashi Brown planned for in year three. He didn't have the privilege of seeing it through. I am not saying he is a better talent evaluator than John Dorsey. I am saying that Sashi Brown deserves half the credit for whatever Dorsey accomplishes this year in talent acquisition. What GM would not have wanted to come into the season with as much cap space and number of draft picks that Cleveland has in 2018? It is what GMs dream about. Dorsey is living it. He just has to execute.

@RapSheet

The #Giants are expected to sign former #Patriots LT Nate Solder, source said. They get their franchise left tackle. Huge get.

I hope not. Really wanted him in Cleveland.

Too many threads going on the same stuff. This year practically each team could of had their own free agency thread.

You are right, Grizz, John Dorsey's moves should not be considered in isolation. He is rebuilding a team with little talent. However, I don't know if "slowly" is exactly right either. By the time the draft is over, the Browns are going to be a lot different than they were last year in some key positions--QB, RB, WR, O-line already. If they pick up a DB and a pass rusher in the draft, the defense will be strong.

Yeah, who can tell what's going on in Buffalo these days? :smug:

In reality, this is what Sashi Brown planned for in year three. He didn't have the privilege of seeing it through. I am not saying he is a better talent evaluator than John Dorsey. I am saying that Sashi Brown deserves half the credit for whatever Dorsey accomplishes this year in talent acquisition. What GM would not have wanted to come into the season with as much cap space and number of draft picks that Cleveland has in 2018? It is what GMs dream about. Dorsey is living it. He just has to execute.

I hope not. Really wanted him in Cleveland.

Its done. 4 years. $62 million for Nate Solder. $35m guranteed. Giants over paid but they had to if they wanted to have a shot next year.

This off-season has gone....not well.

Bill will figure out a way to field a super bowl caliber team. They know what they're doing.

James White should get more touches imo. Id also not be surprised to see the pats sign Jordy Nelson.

Bill will figure out a way to field a super bowl caliber team. They know what they're doing.

James White should get more touches imo. Id also not be surprised to see the pats sign Jordy Nelson.

Doesn’t Jordy Nelson just look like a Patriot?

I don't know that his numbers translate to much. In his 3 starts in the regular season at the end of 2015, while he had a decent completion percentage, and didn't through any picks, the Bengals offense was way down. He only averaged a little over 180 yards passing, and the Bengals offense averaged 100 yards less per game than they did with Daulton. And his college career was basically that of a game manager, surrounded by a strong running game, and NFL caliber players around him.

That's my point for the ones who still think Teddy may be a starter type. McCarrons numbers if he stays with the same numbers he had in his games played. Would translate better than what Teddy had in any season as a starter. Yet people thought of as Teddy as a young up and coming player.

As for 2015. I would hope McCarron didn't step in with zero experience and put up same yardage as Dalton in year 5 in his career year. Now his numbers in his games played do translate to similar numbers as Dalton if you take 2015 out. Not to mention Eifert didn't play in two of those starts and Dalton had him all year before his thumb injury. Plus 2 of the 4 starts for McCarron came in prime time games against playoff teams with a lot on the line. Even with that his numbers if averaged out would be very Dalton like and better than Teddy.