The one day early March 14th NFL Free Agency Thread

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirk Minihane

‏Verified account @kirkmin

2h2 hours ago

Patriots have made a contract offer to A.J. McCarron, per source.

I really hope this is some early April Fools joke or something....:banghead:

Maybe Bill thinks McCarron is his next Tom Brady. A cocky, arrogant QB who feels like he was overlooked and undervalued in the draft, but eventually when given a chance ends up being the best QB of all time...

Haha JK

I mean, I get it from McCarron. If you're going to be a backup, might as well sit behind the GOAT, but I'd much prefer to have Hoyer.

At the end of the day as I have been saying for awhile. Just like some of us can't say for a fact McCarron would do good. Some of you all can't act like you know for a fact he wouldn't. There really is no way to no either way. You can't say if he was good the Bengals would have played him. The Bengals don't have the best history at knowing who even are the best players to have, play, and keep even on their own team. No one truly knows on McCarron. He may be ten times better than Hoyer, or he could be horrible. No one really knows unless he gets a chance to show it one way or another.

Kirk Minihane

‏Verified account @kirkmin

2h2 hours ago

Patriots have made a contract offer to A.J. McCarron, per source.

I really hope this is some early April Fools joke or something....:banghead:

I read something yesterday that mentioned, Mcarron might land with a team who has an aging quarterback who might not be around much longer. New England and Baltimore were mentioned as possibilities. I think NE makes sense for both sides. While Brady was MVP last year, there’s no question he’s on borrowed time. Hoyer has pretty much proved he’s nothing more than a competent backup. Mcarron gives them another option, with more upside. And for Mcarron, if your not going to start, why not be a backup for the best team over the last decade and a half, with a chance to become the starter in the next year or 2?

At the end of the day as I have been saying for awhile. Just like some of us can't say for a fact McCarron would do good. Some of you all can't act like you know for a fact he wouldn't. There really is no way to no either way. You can't say if he was good the Bengals would have played him. The Bengals don't have the best history at knowing who even are the best players to have, play, and keep even on their own team. No one truly knows on McCarron. He may be ten times better than Hoyer, or he could be horrible. No one really knows unless he gets a chance to show it one way or another.

I mean, 31 other teams have decided they dont need him right now. My guess is he is looking for starter money and teams don't see him as a starter.

I mean, 31 other teams have decided they dont need him right now. My guess is he is looking for starter money and teams don't see him as a starter.

He certainly hasn't shown enough to be considered a starter. 4 starts over his career with really pedestrian numbers in those starts. He's basically shown nothing beyond being a game manager, both in college and his small body of work in the NFL. Plenty of upside, but not enough to drop the big money on. Unfortunately, he's going to need an opportunity to show something, which he didn't really get with the Bengals, and might not even get now through free agency.

Because no one really has any idea on him. He has played 5 games. He is like Dalton and would need a lot of talent around him. So in a year where you had more free agent QB's available in history, and a year where you have one of the top QB draft classes coming out in a long time. Someone like McCarron who you really don't know enough about. Most teams are going to go with what they know, rather than what they don't. Or go with potential in talent of incoming drafted QB's this year. Definitely a horrible year for him to be a free agent.

With that said he probably was looking for starter money, which was a mistake on his part. I would assume he has seen what has happened, and will have to live for backup money and just hope someone gets hurt to give him a shot like Keenum had this year.

He certainly hasn't shown enough to be considered a starter. 4 starts over his career with really pedestrian numbers in those starts. He's basically shown nothing beyond being a game manager, both in college and his small body of work in the NFL. Plenty of upside, but not enough to drop the big money on. Unfortunately, he's going to need an opportunity to show something, which he didn't really get with the Bengals, and might not even get now through free agency.

If you look at his numbers. His numbers in those starts translate to be better than Teddy Bridgewater's numbers were in his two seasons of starting. Yet some still try to say Bridgewater can be a starter in this league. In fact his numbers were very Dalton like if you take out Dalton's 2015 season. However unlike a Dalton, or even a Keenum now. He has never had a full season to show how he would do over a full season. So your right it does make it risky to sign him. Especially in a year like this with so many other options available.