If a school voluntarily moves up in Class should you be able to transfer immediately?

theguru

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as they transfer to CovCath, I'm good with it.

In all seriousness, I would be doing all I could to get my son out of a situation like this.

If a boy is playing football he is always in a harmful situation.

Honest question, don’t most All football teams play games against teams not in their respective class? And a lot of these against a team in a higher class or against teams from other states with much larger enrollment?

It's not about that either (although I enjoy hugs) and I'm not saying that in any way. I understand your passion on this topic, and I agree that they shouldn't be forced to play up. I don't see any advantage or reason why playing up is necessary.

But is anything less than winning a state championship a failure and unacceptable?? That would make all but 6 schools every year complete failures.

I’m grateful my sons have never played for coaches who didn’t push them as hard as they could with the belief that they could become state champions.

I think if you feel this strongly about your school moving up in class and you are not actively talking to every administrator involved in the decision, then you have no right to do anything except stay in the school and play where the administrators decide you play. If I were a parent at Cooper, Conner and definitely Boone County, I would be organizing other parents/athletes, writing letters, attending meetings, making phone calls and making my view heard loud and clear. If the administrators didn't listen, I would work my tail off in the next election to get board members defeated. I would make it a campaign issue that the superintendent should be fired. But if you sit there and take it, you get what you deserve.

When all it takes at most schools is three loud parents to get a coach fired, a vocal group of parents can make an impact.

In this scenario, if I play football for a team my Freshman and Sophomore years and then they change the non-district schedule (as everyone does every 2 years) and they add a better school I should be able to transfer because they are putting me at risk. So, because of that argument, I will say NO. But....... I think a person should be able to go to whatever school they want to, whenever they want to. The reason would be that they WANT TO, no other reason needed.

In this scenario, if I play football for a team my Freshman and Sophomore years and then they change the non-district schedule (as everyone does every 2 years) and they add a better school I should be able to transfer because they are putting me at risk. So, because of that argument, I will say NO. But....... I think a person should be able to go to whatever school they want to, whenever they want to. The reason would be that they WANT TO, no other reason needed.

This is not about changing a non-district schedule, this is about a team voluntarily moving up in class while you are at the school and that move up in class eliminates any chance you have to win a state title.

This is not about changing a non-district schedule, this is about a team voluntarily moving up in class while you are at the school and that move up in class eliminates any chance you have to win a state title.

So would they have to transfer to a school that has a higher chance of winning a state title? Who determines that schools % each year? Because it would change every year?

So would they have to transfer to a school that has a higher chance of winning a state title? Who determines that schools % each year? Because it would change every year?

Again, if a school makes a voluntary, anti-competitive change, the student/family should be able to make a change too.

I don't even think it has to be a change towards the bad. If a school willingly moves up to compete in a higher classification, then I think it should be allowed. Although it should be stated that I have no problems with any transfers for any reason. If you feel a school isn't meeting a need you feel to be important enough to transfer over, then feel free.

What if a team dropped out of district play? Should they have the opportunity to transfer? They aren't hurting their odds at a championship or for post season play, they're literally eliminating it completely.

I say let them transfer. And eat cake if they have it, too!

I don't even think it has to be a change towards the bad. If a school willingly moves up to compete in a higher classification, then I think it should be allowed. Although it should be stated that I have no problems with any transfers for any reason. If you feel a school isn't meeting a need you feel to be important enough to transfer over, then feel free.

What if a team dropped out of district play? Should they have the opportunity to transfer? They aren't hurting their odds at a championship or for post season play, they're literally eliminating it completely.

I say let them transfer. And eat cake if they have it, too!

That is another GREAT example of a no questions asked transfer should be allowed immediately.