Best Oldest Gym still in operation

I know. The upper deck bleaches are made from Pendleton's old wooden bleachers. The former coach showed them to me one summer when I was visiting. I love the Augusta gym. I was told a different story on how the "new" gym came about though. Other neat places to see - Cloverport, the old Corbin gym, the old Lynn Camp arena, Maysville's old gym, and the Briar Patch, before it was renovated. Any old gym has a story to tell.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know. The upper deck bleaches are made from Pendleton's old wooden bleachers. The former coach showed them to me one summer when I was visiting. I love the Augusta gym. I was told a different story on how the "new" gym came about though. Other neat places to see - Cloverport, the old Corbin gym, the old Lynn Camp arena, Maysville's old gym, and the Briar Patch, before it was renovated. Any old gym has a story to tell.

Before or after it became "Royalfied"?

Never knew that. Always something new to learn.

• 2 weeks later...
I would have to say there are few old schools left out there and now with the days of the crackerbox gym we have come to large fieldhouses and forget what the old gym of yesteryear was.

Two of my Favorite Old-School Gyms:

Augusta 1926 Gym

Maysville High Gym (The now Maysville-Mason Lady Royals Gym)

Bracken County Gym

I dont think Brackens gym is all that small there new school is pretty nice and there gym is fairly nice as well the old gym was alot better but augusta, and deming have great gyms for NOISE the whole game no matter who is playing

I dont think Brackens gym is all that small there new school is pretty nice and there gym is fairly nice as well the old gym was alot better but augusta, and deming have great gyms for NOISE the whole game no matter who is playing

The old schools gym seated 2200- had WAY more that that in there several times.

The new gym at Bracken seats 1800 I believe.

Bracken's old gym was awesome. The rims had more give than any other I have ever played on. One of the best ball games I've ever seen was in the '93 10th Region All "A" Classic (I think) when the Panthers went there and were beat by 3 in the closing seconds. After the move to the new school, I felt like the rivalry lost some of its prestige. The teams only met once a year for three or four years. It's finally back to where it was before the move.

You are correct sir.

The Prestonsburg Fieldhouse opened in 1958 and was, at the time, THE showplace for high school basketball in the area.

It's still considered one of the best places to play and watch basketball in the 15th Region. It just feels like basketball there.

:thumb:

I like Somerset's gym. No room on the sidelines, old fieldhouse type ceiling. Elevated bleachers right on top of the action. I spent many a night there in high school, still try to go to games and will probably be camping out there again in the next few years if my son continues to play. It was great in the mid to late 80's when the fire marshall had to be called out during the SHS-PC games to cut off admission. I also like Campbellsville's gym with the built in wooden bleachers all the way around the court and the locker rooms with the slanted ceilings under the stands. Monticello is also a great old gym, built in wooden bleachers (maybe 8 rows compared to about 12-15 for Campbellsville), a dungeon of a visitor's locker room with the toilet in the middle of the room--which leads to a great story about a player that had hit a chinese buffet before the game--but that's a story for another time.

I did not happen to know that. I actually remember the year when Pendleton County took out the wooden bleachers and put in new ones. I never knew that they went to Augusta though. It was 1996. That is very unique to me.

There are some pretty old gyms sitting around Letcher Co. since the consolidation. A lot of history down in those parts of the 14th region. Whitesburg vs. Fleming Neon used to be one of the fiercest rivalries i've ever seen. Even on the girls side you couldn't find a seat. I can remember my father shoveling coal into the furnace below Whitesburg's gym before practice throughout the winter.

I saw some 8th Region Games at Henry County last year. The atmosphere in that place is awesome. The place just yells out, this is Kentucky and this is our sport. (Got to love those 20" ceiling fans up in the rafters doing absolutely nothing. Look up next time you are there, what is all of that stuff?) Great place though.