Best Oldest Gym still in operation

I hope they do it has a lot of history in that building. Some of my family used to attend a long time ago (I know my dad and grandfather did).

I have to admit though that building is not in the great shape that KDE states. Deming (1926) is ranked 5 in red which means need major renovations. While compared to Augusta's buiilding (1896) it is ranked a 4.

Is it true that some of those trees are out in front of the building are dedicated to some Alumni that have died?

On you last question on alumni I believe it's true they where dedicated to the Alumni that have passed on.

Yes there's alot of history in the building, the outer classrooms next to the intry was added on in 1976. the lower classrooms were built several years before that, the rest of the school that bears the name Deming High School is really the oldest part of the school, sometimes if you go inside you can hear the wooden floor that is now covered I believe with carpet is really beginning to show it's age.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On you last question on alumni I believe it's true they where dedicated to the Alumni that have passed on.

Yes there's alot of history in the building, the outer classrooms next to the intry was added on in 1976. the lower classrooms were built several years before that, the rest of the school that bears the name Deming High School is really the oldest part of the school, sometimes if you go inside you can hear the wooden floor that is now covered I believe with carpet is really beginning to show it's age.

Know any Alumni that have trees dedicated to them?

Augusta's history is different. The origional school stood next to what is FA Neider Co. while the college was open. Nine years later the College was forced to close, this time for good, and a new school was built. It was dedicated October 30, 1896 (our school colors come from the next day after it was founded) The school burned down three years later in December 1899. It was rebuilt within the next three months. The School went the same way built until the wings were added in 1923. Three years later, October 26, 1926 our Gym was built (shows how old it is). The boiler room was built in 1968. Not until 1986 was another addition made and that was the band building, followed by the Liibrary in 1991. The last and most recent addition was in 1999 onto the back of the gym for storage space for the cafeteria. There are currently a lot of work going on to the building, like tuck pointing, ADA bathroom, new windows,HVAC etc.

I believe the central office was constructed a long time ago and was used for a while as the superintendent's house. It shows though that Augusta is probably the oldest school in the state.

Know any Alumni that have trees dedicated to them?

Augusta's history is different. The origional school stood next to what is FA Neider Co. while the college was open. Nine years later the College was forced to close, this time for good, and a new school was built. It was dedicated October 30, 1896 (our school colors come from the next day after it was founded) The school burned down three years later in December 1899. It was rebuilt within the next three months. The School went the same way built until the wings were added in 1923. Three years later, October 26, 1926 our Gym was built (shows how old it is). The boiler room was built in 1968. Not until 1986 was another addition made and that was the band building, followed by the Liibrary in 1991. The last and most recent addition was in 1999 onto the back of the gym for storage space for the cafeteria. It shows though that Augusta is probably the oldest school in the state.

I don't know who they where dedicated to, but I remember some members that have passed on, Juilan Claypoole was one bad cat in basketball back in the day, had good prospects of going to college, but got married and back then that was the honorable thing to do, see if you dad or grandad knew of him, he's now deceased,

I don't know who they where dedicated to, but I remember some members that have passed on, Juilan Claypoole was one bad cat in basketball back in the day, had good prospects of going to college, but got married and back then that was the honorable thing to do, see if you dad or grandad knew of him, he's now deceased,

I'll have to ask my dad on that because my grandfather has been dead since, I think 1979 becuase my dad said he was a sophomore when he had died. When did he die?

I'll have to ask my dad on that because my grandfather has been dead since, I think 1979 becuase my dad said he was a sophomore when he had died. When did he die?

January 12, 2001 is when Mr. Claypoole died. I looked that up in an Robertson County obituaries.

How about Hazard's gym? Fantastic feel when you're on the floor. Years ago we played a game there and it had one toilet in the visiting lockerrom, right in the middle with no walls around it. Talk about a home court advantage.

Worst gym in the 14th region. Their is no parking. You have to walk up what seems like MT. Everest to get to the gym. It is dark, damp, and cold. The locker rooms never have heat and you have to sit on what looks like homemade bleachers. One positive it does have a nice playing floor.