Best Oldest Gym still in operation

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen that old gym before when we had academics up there. I never really thought it was a gym. My dad says it was but I never really knew[/quote

Sometimes back in the day at break we would play some ball in that gym, it had tyle on it back then and a stage like Augusta's gym.

AJ Loyd Middle School (Wayne Co Middle) has an extremely old looking gym and old building. It gets extremely hot and has big pillars along the floor, which are original. The is about a foot and a half to inbound the wall because you'll either be in the fans or on stage. Personally, I don't really like it. I perfer advanced and larger gyms.

I would have to add Germantown's too. We played AAU there called the Maysville Gators. I still wish I had went into Deming's old gym IMO I like it better than the newer one for some reason. Monticello's though is an old school one. Too bad they will soon be tearing down the 1923 part of the building.

I would like to make a point though. Augusta's gym is "new" as many call it in the northern part of the county. It is "new" with the sense of old school.

I had never been in the Eminence gym until Monday night when our footballers used a lockeroom off of the gym.

That seemed to be an old-timer - but Augusta is like something from out of history books. I remember playing there when they threw pennies at those of us sitting on the bench from the "upper deck" - probably still do.

I had never been in the Eminence gym until Monday night when our footballers used a lockeroom off of the gym.

That seemed to be an old-timer - but Augusta is like something from out of history books. I remember playing there when they threw pennies at those of us sitting on the bench from the "upper deck" - probably still do.

Nah they do not do that. ANYMORE :jump: But I think that the Gym will be turning 80 years old this Month (I think Monday Oct 23, 06). I am not sure though. Heck the School Building, built in 1896, is still used as its origional function a School Building.:p !!!!!!

Augusta's gym is super old and when it's packed it sends chills throughout. Another gym that is still in operation, though remodeled lately is Saint Patrick's, now referred to by many as "the Saint Dome". I remember when out of bounds passes were made by standing behind a dotted line because the out of bounds area was less than a foot wide.

Nothing like Bracken at Augusta... the place shakes the whole game!

Anyone played at Lewisburg gym, or the Germantown gyms, or how about at the Potter's house gym?[/QUOTE]

Thats the old Western Elementary school. They, along with Germantown consolidated with Taylor Elem. for grades K-4, and Bracken Co. Middle School for 5-8. It occured in the 1987-1988 school year. Since then, the Potter's house gym has deteriorated badly. The roof has caved in and ruined what used to be a very good floor, for an old gym and a fun place to play.