Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best Oldest Gym still in operation

Featured Replies

I love the Oldham County girl's gym. I have been in alot of gym's and that is my favorite.

  • Replies 93
  • Views 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen that old gym before when we had academics up there. I never really thought it was a gym. My dad says it was but I never really knew[/quote

Sometimes back in the day at break we would play some ball in that gym, it had tyle on it back then and a stage like Augusta's gym.

There was a gym in Flemingsburg which is where the Simmons Middle School is you used to have to climb down to get to the gym to get to the floor, since then it's been redone.

I think at one point it was a swimming pool.

I like Somerset's joint — has a really cool feel to it, even with the renovations.

 

Monticello's gym is a real crackerbox with character.

 

The rennovations only made it have a nicer look, it is still a crackerbox.

AJ Loyd Middle School (Wayne Co Middle) has an extremely old looking gym and old building. It gets extremely hot and has big pillars along the floor, which are original. The is about a foot and a half to inbound the wall because you'll either be in the fans or on stage. Personally, I don't really like it. I perfer advanced and larger gyms.

  • Author

I would have to add Germantown's too. We played AAU there called the Maysville Gators. I still wish I had went into Deming's old gym IMO I like it better than the newer one for some reason. Monticello's though is an old school one. Too bad they will soon be tearing down the 1923 part of the building.

I would like to make a point though. Augusta's gym is "new" as many call it in the northern part of the county. It is "new" with the sense of old school.

I had never been in the Eminence gym until Monday night when our footballers used a lockeroom off of the gym.

 

That seemed to be an old-timer - but Augusta is like something from out of history books. I remember playing there when they threw pennies at those of us sitting on the bench from the "upper deck" - probably still do.

I know we have listed a few older ones, but Clinton County's gym kind of has a charming feel to it. I'm guessing it was built sometime in the '40s, but it might have been a WPA project from the '30s.

  • Author
I had never been in the Eminence gym until Monday night when our footballers used a lockeroom off of the gym.

 

That seemed to be an old-timer - but Augusta is like something from out of history books. I remember playing there when they threw pennies at those of us sitting on the bench from the "upper deck" - probably still do.

 

Nah they do not do that. ANYMORE :jump: But I think that the Gym will be turning 80 years old this Month (I think Monday Oct 23, 06). I am not sure though. Heck the School Building, built in 1896, is still used as its origional function a School Building.:p !!!!!!

I don't think it's really that old, although it sure looks that way; but in Northern KY, Holy Cross's gym sure has that "throwback feel"!!

It was built in 1961 and even the present students still call it "the new building"!

Augusta's gym is super old and when it's packed it sends chills throughout. Another gym that is still in operation, though remodeled lately is Saint Patrick's, now referred to by many as "the Saint Dome". I remember when out of bounds passes were made by standing behind a dotted line because the out of bounds area was less than a foot wide.

 

 

Nothing like Bracken at Augusta... the place shakes the whole game!

I think at one point it was a swimming pool.

 

 

It was a pool... My favorite place to play as a middle schooler.

Anyone played at Lewisburg gym, or the Germantown gyms, or how about at the Potter's house gym?[/QUOTE]

 

 

Thats the old Western Elementary school. They, along with Germantown consolidated with Taylor Elem. for grades K-4, and Bracken Co. Middle School for 5-8. It occured in the 1987-1988 school year. Since then, the Potter's house gym has deteriorated badly. The roof has caved in and ruined what used to be a very good floor, for an old gym and a fun place to play.

I think at one point it was a swimming pool.

Yes it was.

The old Flat Gap High School and Meade Memorial High School gyms are still used. They are now grade school gyms but they have fantastic feels to them as far as atmosphere.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.