Best Oldest Gym still in operation

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the gym at Augusta.

My absolute favorite place to coach a game. I feel like I am in Hoosiers and I want the kids to run the picket fence. You plop down on the bench after a call and you will lean back into a parent's lap.

Great, great atmosphere. Best I have ever been in INCLUDING the regional tournament.

Somerset "The Briar Patch" is about as old as they come. Small and up close.

I think General Sherman built the gym in the 1860's on his way to burning down Atlanta. Always had a great feel to it, even when I played.

Anyone played at Lewisburg gym, or the Germantown gyms, or how about at the Potter's house gym?[/QUOTE]

Thats the old Western Elementary school. They, along with Germantown consolidated with Taylor Elem. for grades K-4, and Bracken Co. Middle School for 5-8. It occured in the 1987-1988 school year. Since then, the Potter's house gym has deteriorated badly. The roof has caved in and ruined what used to be a very good floor, for an old gym and a fun place to play.

Honestly, though that shows how some schools respect others. Sigh, I wish that I could go back and see it. But what about Bracken's old gym. No chewing tobacco lol...But some schools when they shut down one they leave the closed one most of the time they let it fall in. It is now part of the ages and probably will never be open again.

That is why Augusta is still independent and not part of Bracken County :ylsuper: A-U-G-U-S-T-A H-I-G-H AUGUSTA HIGH RAH RAH RAH :ylsuper:

But wasn't Bracken's old gym flooded recently?:confused: VERY

Feds Creek High School (now a part of East Ridge) is still used by the elementary school. You have to see that place to believe it. It was old when I was in school (1970's). I would like to walk back into it now. It would probably feel like a sardine can.

Anyone played at Lewisburg gym, or the Germantown gyms, or how about at the Potter's house gym?[/QUOTE]

Thats the old Western Elementary school. They, along with Germantown consolidated with Taylor Elem. for grades K-4, and Bracken Co. Middle School for 5-8. It occured in the 1987-1988 school year. Since then, the Potter's house gym has deteriorated badly. The roof has caved in and ruined what used to be a very good floor, for an old gym and a fun place to play.

Isn't the old Maysville Hiogh gym in bad shape?I heard that a few games got cancelled because of the roof leaking, anyone know?

How about Hazard's gym? Fantastic feel when you're on the floor. Years ago we played a game there and it had one toilet in the visiting lockerrom, right in the middle with no walls around it. Talk about a home court advantage.

If there was a smile with a 'THUMBS DOWN' symbol, I would click on it one thousand times when illustrating my opinion of that old, worn out gym.

Honestly, though that shows how some schools respect others. Sigh, I wish that I could go back and see it. But what about Bracken's old gym. No chewing tobacco lol...But some schools when they shut down one they leave the closed one most of the time they let it fall in. It is now part of the ages and probably will never be open again.

That is why Augusta is still independent and not part of Bracken County :ylsuper: A-U-G-U-S-T-A H-I-G-H AUGUSTA HIGH RAH RAH RAH :ylsuper:

But wasn't Bracken's old gym flooded recently?:confused: VERY

I actually had a chance to go into the old Bracken school and gym during the spring of 2005. The whole school is full of bats, mice and birds. The gym floor was covered in dust and it looked like the last event to be held there was a prom because there are balloons and decorations everywhere. The floor sqeaks really bad when you walk on it. I was always told that it was a "good shooting" gym. It is unique to me because on one side the bleachers are moveable, and on the other side the bleachers are stationary. That was always neat to me.

I don't know about it being flooded though.

Feds Creek High School (now a part of East Ridge) is still used by the elementary school. You have to see that place to believe it. It was old when I was in school (1970's). I would like to walk back into it now. It would probably feel like a sardine can.

I "accidently" broke into Elkhorn City's old gymnasium a few years back (by that I mean that I wiggled the locked door and it came open!). Not the gym in the school that just closed, but the even older school which was nearby. I thought it was pretty neat to see inside.

I tried the same thing at Feds Creek, but it was closed a little tighter. I really wanted to see Feds Creek because the ESPN documentary from a few years back showed a woman who shoveled coal in the furnace to keep it warm during games. I love stories like that!