Coin toss question

doomer

You win the toss on a cold windy day where the wind is coming in from one end zone. Do you take the wind in the first and third or second and fourth quarters? I would go for the latter myself.

I am assuming that you "defer" after winning the coin toss which allows you to choose which direction you would like to go.

If you choose that option, you do not get to make that decision in the second half unless you choose not to receive the ball correct?

Well... Memphis won the toss and deferred but took the wind at their back in the first and third which made no sense to me.

I am confused, so first half they deferred and took wind behind their back. In second half their option was to take the ball and their opponent chose the direction they wanted to go in, correct?

I am confused, so first half they deferred and took wind behind their back. In second half their option was to take the ball and their opponent chose the direction they wanted to go in, correct?

Idk maybe someone can explain. But I think Memphis deferred to receive until second half and chose the wind in the first and third quarters.

Well... Memphis won the toss and deferred but took the wind at their back in the first and third which made no sense to me.

If they deferred the coin toss, they only got their choice of which goal to defend in the first, unless they opted to kickoff to open the third period as well.

Personally, I always choose to take the wind at my back to start the game if given the coice. I'd rather the other teams offense struggle with the wind, and give my team chance to start quickly. If it's my choice in the 2nd half, and I take the wind as well. Again fast starts in my mind are very important, especially in the second half if I'm losing. That gives me my whole playbook to work my after the half adjustments.

By defer do we mean "kick?" If so, then the other team picks the direction. This happened in the Patriots game last year where the Pats won the toss, chose to kick, and then tried to pick a direction. The ref said "your decision was to kick the other team decided the direction"

If you win the toss you can kick, receive, defend a goal or defer. If you have won the opening coin toss and deferred, then for the second half you have the same options except deferring. This is the way I understand it---I could be wrong.

So if you win the coin toss you have four options for one choice to start the game: kick, receive, goal to defend, or defer. In the second half, if you deferred or didn't make the decision to begin the game, you get three options for one choice, kick, receive or defend a goal.

Is that correct?

If you win the toss you can kick, receive, defend a goal or defer. If you have won the opening coin toss and deferred, then for the second half you have the same options except deferring. This is the way I understand it---I could be wrong.

So team A defers, team B chooses to recvieve. Who chooses direction?