Who will get to #17 first???

jbwill2

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all of those that are concerned with the Rocks having to deal with "St.X and Male" this year in the playoffs....it will be St.X OR Male, not AND. After that it would be on to the survivor of the Lexington area and then the winner of the showdown of WKY and NKY. I like the Rocks chances in a rematch with X, but I don't think the Tigers will get past Male in round two. Male will be a really tough opponent, but I think the Rocks have a little better depth at defense than the Dawgs will face all year. If the Rocks are able to advance past the X/Male winner I don't look for anyone else to be able to keep them from title #17.

LSURock] Haven't I heard this somewhere.....

Oh yeah.... "last game".:lol:

RockPride^ That's only because we play juniors on JV.....

Relax fellas. Not every comment is directed toward you or your school. Copernicus discovered that the sun does not revolve around the earth. Likewise, the universe does not revolve around T. I actually had in mind on that particular comment the 1999 X Tigers. I thought Henry Clay was the better team that year, but T knocked them off early in the playoffs. However, if you think the shoe fits....:D

No, not every comment is directed towards T. However, the one LSURock and Rockpride quoted you on seemed like a direct dig at T based on some earlier threads from this year.

No, not every comment is directed towards T. However, the one LSURock and Rockpride quoted you on seemed like a direct dig at T based on some earlier threads from this year.

Then I suppose I should be flattered that so many take my comments from earlier this year to heart and remember them for so long.:D It occurs to me that you may be speaking about threads where others may have cast aspersions on T's title. Although any game is fair game for speculation, I thought the best team won that game.

If you go back several years you can find any number of examples where the best team did not win state because of a bad draw, and the winning team lallygagged into the finals on a weak draw. It happens, and it is just a fact of sports, and really, a fact of life. It would be interesting to have a thread something like "The most unexpected winner of a state football championship in Kentucky history". Sometimes, though, as time goes on it becomes apparent that the unexpected champion truly deserved the title.

As to this thread, I still think if anyone gets 17 this year it will be T and not Highlands. As I understand it, Highlands will probably have to play Cov Cath and BG to get 17, and T will probably only have to play X or Male as a major obstacle to 17.

I think the T versus X/H component of this debate is food for a good debate. One side has the easier path (on paper anyway) and the other a pretty good test followed by a "game of the year" type match-up. Does the edge go to the team that is allowed to coast or the team that comes into week three battle hardened? I hope we will get to see this senario unfold in the coming weeks and not have the march to the final marred by an early upset (2004 still burns me up).

LSURock] Haven't I heard this somewhere.....

Oh yeah.... "last game".:lol:

RockPride^ That's only because we play juniors on JV.....

Relax fellas. Not every comment is directed toward you or your school. Copernicus discovered that the sun does not revolve around the earth. Likewise, the universe does not revolve around T. I actually had in mind on that particular comment the 1999 X Tigers. I thought Henry Clay was the better team that year, but T knocked them off early in the playoffs. However, if you think the shoe fits....:D

Very good observation...the 1999 Henry Clay team was stacked until injuries hit.

Shane Boyd(Kentucky) missed a few games and played hurt in the playoffs.

Zia Combs(Michigan) tore his knee up in the last regular season game and missed the playoffs.

There were other players that also played hurt, but it is football and sometimes you have to play hurt. Losing Zia would hurt any team tremendously.

I think Trinity and Highlands both get 17 this year. Highlands has a great team. Trinity has four more cakewalks until the third playoff game whereas Male must play St X, Manual, PRP or Manual and then St X before the third playoff game. St X must play Male, Butler, Manual or PRP and then Male. I believe injuries and mental fatigue may play a factor in the third game of the playoffs.

I'm not sure the Birds necessarily have an easier path. They'll have to beat CovCath, probably LexCath(or Franklin Co), then RockCastle (or Bell) and then beat BG. All very worthy opponents capable of beating the Birds. The 3rd and 4th round games will probably be on the road. T will have to beat either Male or X and then most likely Henry Clay (and I'm not yet a believer in Lex 4A football, but hoping they prove me wrong).

Very good observation...the 1999 Henry Clay team was stacked until injuries hit.

Shane Boyd(Kentucky) missed a few games and played hurt in the playoffs.

Zia Combs(Michigan) tore his knee up in the last regular season game and missed the playoffs.

There were other players that also played hurt, but it is football and sometimes you have to play hurt. Losing Zia would hurt any team tremendously.

I think Shane Boyd got his collar bone broke in the fourth quarter in the last game of the year against Campbell that year. He was still in the game when Clay was up 49-0. IMO, a poor choice by Simpson.

If Trinity wins a state title this year I don't believe the list of teams that they play will be significantly different than any other year despite the changes in the system. When was the last time Trinity won a state title and didn't play either Male or X?

I think they both will get there this year. I know both have a tough task ahead of them but Highlands is Sr. laden and very strong in the trenches and you need that in the playoffs. Trinity will take care of biz in 4a...although those playoff games all should be considered State Championship games.

If Trinity wins a state title this year I don't believe the list of teams that they play will be significantly different than any other year despite the changes in the system. When was the last time Trinity won a state title and didn't play either Male or X?