Guilty until proved innocent, or Innocent until proven guilty?

jericho

With all the sexual charges by people in recent weeks it go me to wondering.

Now not to doubt it didnt happen, but why are the people losing jobs and things based on what someone says without any proof.

For example the Wonder Woman actor refuses to do part 2 unless the movie-maker guy is killed from the company for ALLEGATIONS OF sexual harassment.

So far all I have seen are allegations of every single thing and no proof.

What is to just keep someone from making up something to destroy a career of someone.

Is the media the ones who are the judges and jury now?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Innocent until proven guilty" is the way the court system does/should work. The phrase, for the better or the worse, is and has really never been an accurate description of the private sector. Reputation matters. Influence matters.

Some of these accused also have a history of settlements related to the allegations. I remember one poster here who said of Bill Cosby's situation, that the sheer number of women coming forward made it improbable to think nothing happened.

And frankly, this is a long time coming. It's happening to high profile people right now. Hopefully this message trickles down to the everyday folks, that harassing behavior is not acceptable.

As for settlements, I know it’s easier and cheaper to settle than go through the whole court system.

That is what most lawyers will say.

The money saved on court fees pales in comparison to the potential future earnings lost if they choose not to use the courts to clear their name.

I, especially in these scenarios, perceive a settlement as an admission of guilt and an attempt to make it go away, and were I one of the accusers, there wouldn't be a dollar amount large enough to could shut me up.

With all the sexual charges by people in recent weeks it go me to wondering.

Now not to doubt it didnt happen, but why are the people losing jobs and things based on what someone says without any proof.

For example the Wonder Woman actor refuses to do part 2 unless the movie-maker guy is killed from the company for ALLEGATIONS OF sexual harassment.

So far all I have seen are allegations of every single thing and no proof.

What is to just keep someone from making up something to destroy a career of someone.

Is the media the ones who are the judges and jury now?

Because one person making claims isn't the same thing as multiple people making basically the same claim.

It's hard to have conversations when the rebuttal is always a conspiracy theory...

Its not a conspiracy theory that things like that happen. Its true. Does it happen all the time, no. But in cases, yes it has happened.

Has anyone offered proof of anything so far. Besides their word.

The problem with sexually based offenses is society tends to give too much credibility to accusations and the end result is guilty until proven innocent.

This is yet another issue where we have Corporations acting as a Quasi-Justice System when they either don't agree with the Justice System or the alleged victim doesn't want to pursue anything through the Criminal Justice System.

Additionally, anyone that falsely accuses another of a sexually based crime needs to go to prison for a long time.

Its not a conspiracy theory that things like that happen. Its true. Does it happen all the time, no. But in cases, yes it has happened.

Has anyone offered proof of anything so far. Besides their word.

It's 100% a conspiracy theory that you believe even some of these people are coming out to try and get part of a settlement.