What age should it be to be considered a legal adult & assume adult responsibilities

I'm sure most of America shares your opinion. But if you comapre the two continents, especially southern Europe where drinking laws and attitudes are the most liberal, you'll see that holding America's drinking age at 21 (the highest int he world) is not working. We have a huge rate of binge drinking, especially in the 16-21 age pool. If it isn't working, why do we keep doing it?

Cause take it from someone who frequently goes to parties where people aged 18-25 attend, it isn't working.:lol:

Agree that culture, history and local traits, often determine what is acceptable behaviour.

Some get conditioned and accept, while others attempt to circumvent the laws of the drinking age. Just because they aren't always working, doesn't mean they aren't effective or deter.

Perhaps at your next party you attend, take a poll of those present and ask them "why they drink and would an age change, with substantial penalties affect their choice.....or hang out with new friends.

:D

I could've sworn that for sexual consent was only legal after 18. Like, a 22 year old could be charged with statitory (I can't remember how to spell it) rape for going with a 17 year old. Or something to that effect. Is this the case for most states? Did Kentucky recently change it?

Otherwise, I think it would make a lot of sense to lower the drinking age to 18.

I'm sure most of America shares your opinion. But if you comapre the two continents, especially southern Europe where drinking laws and attitudes are the most liberal, you'll see that holding America's drinking age at 21 (the highest int he world) is not working. We have a huge rate of binge drinking, especially in the 16-21 age pool. If it isn't working, why do we keep doing it?

Cause take it from someone who frequently goes to parties where people aged 18-25 attend, it isn't working.:lol:

So we want to change the law because a group of immature people don't follow the law. Don't understand that line of thinking.

And yes looking back at it now, I was VERY immature and didn't really know what I was doing until I was about 23. I attended and participated in those parties and thought I was cool. Now, I simply don't find any necessary reason to go out and get drunk.

So we want to change the law because a group of immature people don't follow the law. Don't understand that line of thinking.

And yes looking back at it now, I was VERY immature and didn't really know what I was doing until I was about 23. I attended and participated in those parties and thought I was cool. Now, I simply don't find any necessary reason to go out and get drunk.

I think that kind of proves 02Rams point. If it were 18 then by the time you were 20 not 23 you would have lost alot of intrest in drinking.

Now the big question that is always brought up, why can you die fighting in a war at 18, but can't go out and have a drink until you are 21? Not saying it's wrong or right, just for debating reasons.

I do have one question, would it be so hard to have breathalyzers installed on all new cars mandatory? To where the car won't start until you blow into the thing and pass?

Working at a night club I see people in their 30's, 40's 50's and on up who have less responsibility than a lot of 18-21 year olds. I spend about half my time after last call trying to convince +21 people they had too much to drink and that they should not drive, When I tell someone 18-20 they are in no shape to drive (I know we didn't serve them so they either drank before the entered or snuck some drinks) I don't have any trouble at all convincing them they cannot drive, some have actually come to me saying they can't drive and need a way home.

Plus, I know this is so in Ohio, not sure about KY. A 16-20 year old can have a parent, or +21 spouse legally give them alcohol in public places/bars/clubs. This is for public places, not in the homes. It is confusing.

Nice

:thumb:

Now the big question that is always brought up, why can you die fighting in a war at 18, but can't go out and have a drink until you are 21? Not saying it's wrong or right, just for debating reasons.

I do have one question, would it be so hard to have breathalyzers installed on all new cars mandatory? To where the car won't start until you blow into the thing and pass?

Working at a night club I see people in their 30's, 40's 50's and on up who have less responsibility than a lot of 18-21 year olds. I spend about half my time after last call trying to convince +21 people they had too much to drink and that they should not drive, When I tell someone 18-20 they are in no shape to drive (I know we didn't serve them so they either drank before the entered or snuck some drinks) I don't have any trouble at all convincing them they cannot drive, some have actually come to me saying they can't drive and need a way home.

Plus, I know this is so in Ohio, not sure about KY. A 16-20 year old can have a parent, or +21 spouse legally give them alcohol in public places/bars/clubs. This is for public places, not in the homes. It is confusing.

I do somewhat agree, however think the reason being is that at 18 most kids can't responsibly handle alcoho(not saying most 21 year olds can), however their is a good difference, now though if the age was changed for being able to join the military from 18 to 21 I think we would see a possible increase in "problems" and a decrease in people in enlistments.

So many people say that it's a "trap" for kids, I think of it as more of an alternative, from possible failure in MANY situations(but not all).... It's a fine line and I've agreed and preached for both sides, kinda think, in my heart though, if we can trust you with weapons(as a soldier) you can be trusted with alcohol...