Top Contenders for 10th Region POY

I don't think it should matter if you have better players on your team. The award should go to the best player period and the success of that team based off the performances of that player.

Kind of contradicting yourself, a couple years back Bailey Cummins was arguably the best player in the Region but I believe Whitney O'Mara won the award even though Cummins had better stats but she had a team that wasn't successful. Same thing this year Celphane and Reed will both be on teams that won't be as successful as those as GRC and Campbell simply because they don't have the talent/depth on the roster that they do.

I'm not sure there is a "fair" way to go about doing this award, as I made the case for O'Mara to be POY over Cummins back in 2015 because I thought she was the better overall player that had to sacrifice her shot attempts for the well being of the team, but other people made the case for Cummins because of the numbers she was putting up night in and night out.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of contradicting yourself, a couple years back Bailey Cummins was arguably the best player in the Region but I believe Whitney O'Mara won the award even though Cummins had better stats but she had a team that wasn't successful. Same thing this year Celphane and Reed will both be on teams that won't be as successful as those as GRC and Campbell simply because they don't have the talent/depth on the roster that they do.

I'm not sure there is a "fair" way to go about doing this award, as I made the case for O'Mara to be POY over Cummins back in 2015 because I thought she was the better overall player that had to sacrifice her shot attempts for the well being of the team, but other people made the case for Cummins because of the numbers she was putting up night in and night out.

Cummings won POY her senior year and OMara won it last year.

• 5 weeks later...

True, but when it's a voting system having multiple deserving players on the same team tends to split votes. Different players have standout games and get the nod for #1. When you have one "star" on a team they get the nod. I think Clephane comes out with this one.

True, but when it's a voting system having multiple deserving players on the same team tends to split votes. Different players have standout games and get the nod for #1. When you have one "star" on a team they get the nod. I think Clephane comes out with this one.

So what you are saying is it doesn't necessarily mean that the best player in the region is the winner just that if a team only has one star then they usually win. Just because a person scores mores points doesn't make them the best player. I think it should be based on the whole realm of the game.

So what you are saying is it doesn't necessarily mean that the best player in the region is the winner just that if a team only has one star then they usually win. Just because a person scores mores points doesn't make them the best player. I think it should be based on the whole realm of the game.

It should be but offensive stats dominate these voting decisions. Unfortunately, too many pay no attention to defense, steals, deflections, rebounds, etc. and it is all about points scored. Same goes in other sports, like softball. All region teams are based merely upon HR's hit in some instances, and we had examples of kids committing 25 to 30 errors and getting all Region team just because they hit 4 or 5 HRs. Apparently playing good defense and not costing their teams wins as a result of not playing good defense didn't matter.

It should be but offensive stats dominate these voting decisions. Unfortunately, too many pay no attention to defense, steals, deflections, rebounds, etc. and it is all about points scored. Same goes in other sports, like softball. All region teams are based merely upon HR's hit in some instances, and we had examples of kids committing 25 to 30 errors and getting all Region team just because they hit 4 or 5 HRs. Apparently playing good defense and not costing their teams wins as a result of not playing good defense didn't matter.

I can agree with looking at players overall stats.

And I ask the question is there any other criterias that should be considered for this award? I know most national POY awards have three criterias to winning this award.

1) Athletic Excellence - Standout performance in their respective sport.

2) Academic Achievement - Review of GPA and class rank, as well as SAT and ACT scores, and academic honors distinctions.

3) Exemplary Character - Commitment to sportsmanship, character and community through membership and voluntary participation in positive activities.

Thought?

I can agree with looking at players overall stats.

And I ask the question is there any other criterias that should be considered for this award? I know most national POY awards have three criterias to winning this award.

1) Athletic Excellence - Standout performance in their respective sport.

2) Academic Achievement - Review of GPA and class rank, as well as SAT and ACT scores, and academic honors distinctions.

3) Exemplary Character - Commitment to sportsmanship, character and community through membership and voluntary participation in positive activities.

Thought?

I agree with everything you stated. Those are all very important factors when making a decision like this. I also believe for example teams like GRC and Campbell who have multiple talented players, you have to take in consideration that most of those players sacrifice personal stats for the better of the team in order for the team to be successful.

Keep in mind I said "multiple DESERVING players" and never mentioned scoring the most points. I'm a defense/assists kinda gal first and foremost. I simply think it's easier to tell who the star is on a team if there is only one. On teams like GRC and Campbell where multiple girls can have awesome games there is more of a chance for fluctuation in the voting. ANY time you have a voting system where there isn't a set standard of how you rank players then yes, on occasion, the best player may not win POY. That's why it's a great thing that even though it's an honor to win, it doesn't make/break you as a player. I think ALL the girls mentioned have a legit shot at winning POY but more importantly they all, are already or have the potential to, get their college paid for and have excellent collegiate careers!

Have I mentioned how much I love high school basketball season?!?!?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I know its silly to put too much stock in a single game, but IF (and this is a huge IF) Scott can hang tough tonight and Clephane can have a GREAT game - I think she has a shot at it.

Scott has had a good year after losing Stapleton and Clephane has been dominate, she has not dissapointed.

But... how can you not give it to CC player after the year they have had.

Most likely CC wins by 20+ and Clos takes home POY.

I'm curious how yall felt about Russell Westbrook winning NBA MVP last year. Because if you were ok with that... POY has to go to Clephane. She's been the most dominate individual, putting up ridiculous numbers... not just in scoring, but shooting %s too.

Do an exercise for the second... considering the CC v SHS game... imagine Clephane doesnt play tonight for Scott. Campbell maybe wins by 35+. If Clos doesnt play for Campbell... Campbell might still win. Take them both out of the game... Campbell wins in a blowout. That by itself tells you how it's no question... Anna Clephane.

And I say that with full knowledge (obviously) that Campbell is probably going to win tonight. So don't tackle me Camel nation...