Pete W

Who wins Highlands or Ryle  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins Highlands or Ryle

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say it, but Raiders 42-21. Reason 1, injuries. Birds are playing 3rd and 4th string at some positions.. Reason 2, the birds give a 10-12 yard cushion on EVERY play and Ryle will run right through those open lanes. Reason 3, HHS play calling has been questionable at best.

I don't know HHS well enough to speak to #1 and #3 above but I know Ryle well enough to know that #2 is a realistic expectation.

If the Birds are lucky enough to stop the Raiders RB's, don't forget Ryle has a kicker that will most likely be putting points on the board! Don't forget the Special Teams play will give Ryle an edge as well. Ryle by 3 TD's.

Is that Parra?

I have heard from some past state champion Bluebirds (90's) that they think the culture of the program is the problem. Getting 60+ points dropped on em wouldve never happen,ed back in their day according to them. They also brought up the fact that they find it hard to watch the kids celebrate on the field after the games with parents and friends taking pictures after getting their butts handed to them on their home field. I tend to agree somewhat, I mean if you lose a game by 3-4 TD's on your home field get your butt off the field and in the locker room. Or even some players wearing their game pants to Dixie Chili after losses.

Id be curious to know if others felt the same way about the culture of the program. Maybe they need a coach like Duffy back in the program. Lol

You may be on to something regarding the "culture" of the program. When Dale was in charge it was eat, breath and sleep football even when it was not football season. IMO the basketball and baseball teams suffered greatly because many two or three sport guys chose to play football only and that is not the case anymore.

I've heard that they got two sophomores playing RB this week. I'm sure they're great kids but, why not start Crosley New at RB? He was the best player on his frosh team and was a heck of a running back. Such a waste.

In the 90s they did not platoon and there were some greats that went both ways. Steve Lickert went both ways and he seems fine today, getting a little tired is OK.

Also it used to be that Highlands just flat out outworked the other teams in the off season. Now other programs work just as hard and there are serious restrictions on practicing so Highlands kind of lost that factor as well.

Obviously not too in the loop based upon the information put out there in your first paragraph. As for your platoon comments, you are on target with your comments. Not sure what it is going to take for the staff to move off of this and get your best on the field whether it be offense, defense and/or special teams.

From what I've heard, Wilson may be back this week possibly. I believe Schwalbach is still out.

Furthermore, if we are going to play the sophomore running backs, there's no way in this universe I'm giving the ball to the kid that coughed up two of them last week. The other one didn't fumble once. In this game, as in all games, turnovers will undo you faster than anything else. Ball security is the #1 priority for a running back, #2 is positive yards.

If the HHS coaching staff is scouring BGP looking for a game-plan and needs to use my post tell them how to get ready for us. Please ask them to forfeit the game on Friday to save themselves from embarrassment.:lol:

All this talk about game planning by HHS, maybe they could just watch the CovCath film v Ryle......just don't defend like CC did on the first play, :idunno:

Sounds like the once famous kool-aid, is now just water in Ft. Thomas.

It wasn't kool-aid - Highlands was for real. Best-coached, toughest, most confident team in NKy and - most years - the state.

The pride and culture of excellence once associated with the program seem to have eroded. It will take more than an infusion of talent to bring those characteristics back.