Remnants of Hurricane Harvey to affect Kentucky

nWo

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thursday morning update:

It appears that the precipitation should start to reach Kentucky around 5 pm EDT. The heaviest rain accumulation will occur over night Thursday and during the day on Friday. The largest accumulations look to be west of I-65 with 5-7" possible. East of I-65 looks to get 1-3". Some will see winds from around 30-40 mph. These totals will cause significant river flooding.

The Storm Prediction Center has parts of eastern Kentucky in a Marginal Risk Area for strong to severe storms on Friday. Extreme southeast Kentucky is in a Slight Risk Area for these possible storms.

I will update later today. Here are some maps and simulated radars that show where and when the rain will fall.

KY_swody2.png

90.jpg

5 pm Thursday to 5 am EDT Friday morning

5-5am.gif

8 am to 5 pm EDT Friday

8-5.gif

8 pm Friday to 8 am EDT Saturday

8-8.gif

turn_around.jpg

Thursday evening update:

Those along I-65, especially in the Bowling Green area, should be preparing for significant flooding. The latest models are showing 5-8" of rain starting later tonight into Friday night. Bowling Green is looking at around upwards to around 8"

Along I-75 look for 1-3" for in parts of southern and eastern Kentucky. For those from around the I-64 corridor northward look for 1-4" of rain.

Winds anywhere from 15-25 mph with gusts between 30-40 especially in the areas with the heaviest rainfall.

Those who live along rivers, streams or areas prone to flooding should be preparing right now.

75.jpg

So the building right next to my work is some type of operation for AT&T. Apparently after some similar facilities were damaged in the Houston area, some big wig freaked out and ordered any facilty in the path of Harvey to sand bag their doors. They had Skanska there today doing just that. We were cracking up. It would take feet of rain to flood this building.

So looks like starting around 7-8AM Friday all the way till Saturday afternoon in NKY. 1-3 inches of rain during that period?

The NAM 3km model is showing 3.2 inches through 11 am EDT Saturday morning. The other NAM is showing upwards to 4 inches.

The Storm Prediction Center has a small portion of Kentucky in a Slight Risk Area for strong to severe storms. This is mainly in the London, Corbin and Williamsburg area.

The center of the remnant of Harvey is forecast to reach southern Kentucky later this afternoon. Severe storms may be possible with damaging winds and hail as the main threats. A tornado or two also will be possible.

KY_swody1.png

Driving from Bennington, VT today to Somerset, Ky. 14 hours roughly. We are leaving at 3:00PM today (Friday) and driving to around midnight. Getting up, hitting the road by 8:00 to take it in by tomorrow afternoon.

I can go several ways, through WV, over to Ashland on in. Through Buffalo, Cleveland, Cincy on in. I also could drive the Southern tier of NY and go through Cleveland too. Which of these might be the best weather wise? The WV route is 30 minutes longer, but if it is far less rain, I will do it.

Just looking for advice. The way I see it, I am probably getting wet regardless. I would like the bulk to be when I am overnighting.

@nWo I would like your expert opinion on this - I am supposed to drive from NKY to Nashville then over to Knoxville this afternoon. Is that a safe idea?

As for now the heaviest rain this afternoon looks to be from NKY to just south of Lexington. 1 hour rain fall totals of .5 to 1 inch per hour around 2 pm EDT. After you get south of Richmond you should just see spotty showers.

Driving from Bennington, VT today to Somerset, Ky. 14 hours roughly. We are leaving at 3:00PM today (Friday) and driving to around midnight. Getting up, hitting the road by 8:00 to take it in by tomorrow afternoon.

I can go several ways, through WV, over to Ashland on in. Through Buffalo, Cleveland, Cincy on in. I also could drive the Southern tier of NY and go through Cleveland too. Which of these might be the best weather wise? The WV route is 30 minutes longer, but if it is far less rain, I will do it.

Just looking for advice. The way I see it, I am probably getting wet regardless. I would like the bulk to be when I am overnighting.

Just looked at the latest radar simulations. The West Virginia route looks to see less rain than the Ohio route today. Parts of Southern Ohio and Eastern Kentucky are looking at 1-3 inches of rain by tonight. For Saturday you'll see light showers and rain over the entire Ohio and West Virginia areas.

Just looked at the latest radar simulations. The West Virginia route looks to see less rain than the Ohio route today. Parts of Southern Ohio and Eastern Kentucky are looking at 1-3 inches of rain by tonight. For Saturday you'll see light showers and rain over the entire Ohio and West Virginia areas.

Thanks!!