Heat Index - Is your school following all the rules?

theguru

Toughin' up!

J/K

I know you're obviously kidding, Lawnboy13, but I still shake my head about the number of people I hear talk about how "we used to practice on hotter days when I played football", how "we didn't get nearly as many water breaks as they do nowdays", and how "the wussification of America continues" via heat index measures.

Do people really think kids are better off for practicing in those conditions?? I don't get it.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll tell you a group that gets forgotten this time of year, the marching band.

Ours used to practice regardless of the heat index because no one ever thought to train them. Marching all day during camp on pavement.

After a "Parent" pointed out how great the training was for coaches and it would be nice to train the band director, the band started monitoring heat index.

Today, they did not march, due to heat index.

I'll tell you a group that gets forgotten this time of year, the marching band.

Ours used to practice regardless of the heat index because no one ever thought to train them. Marching all day during camp on pavement.

After a "Parent" pointed out how great the training was for coaches and it would be nice to train the band director, the band started monitoring heat index.

Today, they did not march, due to heat index.

Bands fell under the same HS regulation for Heat Index in 2014.

Blue Stanton: Coach we need a water break, we been out here all day!

Coach Boone: What did you say?

Blue Stanton: Said, we need a water break.

Coach Boone: A water break? Water is for cowards. Water makes you weak. Water is for washing blood off that uniform and you don't get no blood on my uniform, boy you must be outside your mind! We are going to do up-downs, until Blue is no longer tired, and thirsty.

Blue Stanton: Coach we need a water break, we been out here all day!

Coach Boone: What did you say?

Blue Stanton: Said, we need a water break.

Coach Boone: A water break? Water is for cowards. Water makes you weak. Water is for washing blood off that uniform and you don't get no blood on my uniform, boy you must be outside your mind! We are going to do up-downs, until Blue is no longer tired, and thirsty.

Where are the SALT TABLETS ????

Trinity definitely monitors the heat index! The last thing the school wants is a lawsuit because the heat index was not on their radar. This week I watched the Rocks begin practice on their grass practice field. I assume they moved to stadium after the turf field "cooled" enough to be safely under the limit.

Here is some food for thought. You are not allowed to practice or have a 7 on 7 tournament after 104. Yet, travel baseball leagues have tournaments ALL DAY and they play when the heat index is over 111. That's something to think about.

And they are crazy for doing it.

Here is some food for thought. You are not allowed to practice or have a 7 on 7 tournament after 104. Yet, travel baseball leagues have tournaments ALL DAY and they play when the heat index is over 111. That's something to think about.

Back in the old days mid 80s we played 2 Babe Ruth All-Star games during the heat of the day. First Game at 2 and I pitched that game with temps around 100. We watched the next game and played after that around 6 615 with temps still mid upper 90s and played CF. Wet towels and lots of water but we all survived luckily. Couple of kids did become nauseous and one our catcher got sick. No one back then even questioned the heat. Played many little league and Babe Ruth games in oppressive heat.

Back in the old days mid 80s we played 2 Babe Ruth All-Star games during the heat of the day. First Game at 2 and I pitched that game with temps around 100. We watched the next game and played after that around 6 615 with temps still mid upper 90s and played CF. Wet towels and lots of water but we all survived luckily. Couple of kids did become nauseous and one our catcher got sick. No one back then even questioned the heat. Played many little league and Babe Ruth games in oppressive heat.

Because its not the heat that kills people. Lack of acclimatization, asthma, or heart irregularities kill people.

I grew up in the era where you had "to get tough" and didn't need water breaks. That was pretty stupid.

We know so much more so to not follow the heat index rules is just dumb. I suffered from heat exhaustion one time, (didn't know it at the time) and I can't handle the heat like I use to and I spent hours each day in the tobacco field or softball/baseball diamond and it didn't bother me.

Info didn't seem to get to the band directors down here until 2015! To their credit once they were made aware of it by the Principal, they have been on top of it.

I know a Band Director that made his band march on a turf field at 1pm, temperature about 96 degrees, barefoot because one person forgot their shoes. Burnt the kids feet so bad many of them could barely walk and they couldn't do their finals performance. This was just a few years ago.

This guy was promoted to asst principal a couple years ago.