Article about Pete Rose

PP1

Pete Rose to skip Phillies Wall of Fame induction 'due to recent events'

The Philadelphia Phillies announced Wednesday that they've canceled a ceremony to honor Hit King and former Cincinnati Reds great Pete Rose and induct him into the Phillies Wall of Fame on Aug. 12. The team also won't distribute a bobblehead figurine of Rose as it had planned as part of a giveaway at Citizens Bank Park on Aug. 11 in light of testimony accusing Rose of statutory rape, filed as part of an ongoing defamation lawsuit Rose filed last year against John Dowd.

The complete statement from the team, via Twitter (@Phillies):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63127[/ATTACH]

Rose's statement, per the team's press release:

"While I am truly honored that the Phillies fans voted for me to be this year's Wall of Fame inductee, I am concerned that other matters will overshadow the goodwill associated with Alumni Weekend, and I agree with the decision not to participate."

A sworn statement filed Monday in federal court revealed that Rose had a sexual relationship during the 1970s with a girl that started before she turned 16, according to a statement by the now-grown woman.

Good for the Phillies, they should be done with Rose, forget he ever played for the franchise, something the Reds should do as well.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

??? When was Dowd told of this? Did he have a duty to report it? I don't know that he held a fiduciary duty.

By Dowd's own admission hes know about this since 1988/1989. By law he had a duty to report it to authorities and didnt. Apparently statue limitations on that ran out after 25 years (go figure right.) Convention how he is pushing the issue now.

By Dowd's own admission hes know about this since 1988/1989. By law he had a duty to report it to authorities and didnt. Apparently statue limitations on that ran out after 25 years (go figure right.) Convention how he is pushing the issue now.

He is pushing the issue because he is being sued for defamation. Guy has the right to defend himself.

If the girl is an adult when she told him, isn't it her responsibility to bring action? He never had knowledge while she was a juvenile, and really, all he had was the word of an adult.

??? When was Dowd told of this? Did he have a duty to report it? I don't know that he held a fiduciary duty.

I believe Dowd discovered this during the Pete Rose gambling investigation in the late 80s. Was that still within the statute of limitations time frame on statutory rape? Doesn't Dowd have a legal and/or ethical obligation to report a crime If he becomes aware of it?

I see a possible Catch-22 for Dowd in this situation. If this girl was underage, then Dowd should have reported it to the authorities and violated legal ethics by not reporting the crime. If this is the only girl Dowd can find and she was actually 16, then Pete committed no crime and Dowd has defamed Pete. And, if it is the latter, Pete's damages probably just grew by having to cancel the events in Philadelphia and because of all the notoriety that has occurred in the last few weeks from Dowd bringing this woman into the case

I am asking because I don't know. Why did Dowd have a legal duty to report this? If you suspect someone of having committed a crime, you may have a moral duty to report it but do you have a legal duty to do so??

IMO one of the sleaziest sprors figure of my lifetime. Not HOF worthy and never was IMO. Great baseball player, horrible human being.

Totally agree. The more you learn about Pete, the more you realize he is just a pathological liar. I feel pretty certain now that he bet on baseball when he was a player. The fact that he always denied it makes me even more certain he did. The guy was so much fun to watch play and did everything right on the field...but did everything wrong off of it...just a despicable human being IMO...

I am asking because I don't know. Why did Dowd have a legal duty to report this? If you suspect someone of having committed a crime, you may have a moral duty to report it but do you have a legal duty to do so??

From what the Judge said on the radio that because it was a crime involving a minor, there was a statue that stated not reporting the crime, was a crime in and off itself.

Because he is an attorney he has an ethical requirement. In fact, I believe he is former prosecutor so no excuse for not reporting.

So who believes the report that came out initially stating Pete slept with girls as young as 13? Keep in mind that every single accusation that has come out against Pete Rose over the last twenty years or so has turned out to be true. He would deny and deny, then eventually when the proof was in his face, he would admit.

So who believes the report that came out initially stating Pete slept with girls as young as 13? Keep in mind that every single accusation that has come out against Pete Rose over the last twenty years or so has turned out to be true. He would deny and deny, then eventually when the proof was in his face, he would admit.

Pete hasn't done much to gain my trust to believe anything he says. He's admitted to the relationship, which occurred while he was married, which makes him scum to begin with, even if the girl was legal (which even if she was 16, wouldn't make it any less scummy). Pete's a tool. Period. I admit, I really used to admire him while growing up. I'm a Phillies fan, and he was loved in that town almost as much as he's loved in the Cincy area. As more and more stuff came out, my admiration started to wane. Then, I got a chance to meet and spend a little time around him, and he was a complete jerk. A couple years later, I got another chance to be around him, and he was an even bigger jerk. I have zero use for him, and I'm completely tired of the continued calls for him to be in the HOF.

I believe Dowd discovered this during the Pete Rose gambling investigation in the late 80s. Was that still within the statute of limitations time frame on statutory rape? Doesn't Dowd have a legal and/or ethical obligation to report a crime If he becomes aware of it?

I see a possible Catch-22 for Dowd in this situation. If this girl was underage, then Dowd should have reported it to the authorities and violated legal ethics by not reporting the crime. If this is the only girl Dowd can find and she was actually 16, then Pete committed no crime and Dowd has defamed Pete. And, if it is the latter, Pete's damages probably just grew by having to cancel the events in Philadelphia and because of all the notoriety that has occurred in the last few weeks from Dowd bringing this woman into the case

As part of a private, independent investigation, I don't feel like he had to report a crime that involved a minor after that minor become an adult. If the lady was comfortable enough to report this to Dowd, she should have reported it to the authorities herself. She may have asked him not to report it. Had he found out that Rose slept with her when she was 14 and she was still under 16, or under 18 and he had paid for her plane ticket to New York just to sleep with her on the road, then YES, report it to the authorities. The guy comes across as a scumbag, but I can't say he legally was obligated to report a past crime like this.