Top Five Coaches all time in KHSAA

Guest fogdog.com

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ralph Carlisle is the ONLY coach to have won at least three state championships. He would be number 1 in my book.

According to the KHSAA website Neil Arnston also won 3 titles (1923,25,31) at Manual.

Outside of those 2, only Billy Hicks (Scott Co) and Robert Graves (Central) have won multiple titles that weren't in back to back years.

A coach that many do not know or have forgotten is Bill Harrell. He should be in conversation as one of if not best ever to coach in Ky. Won State Championship at Shelby County, 2 time Ky. Coach of Year, KHSAA Hall of Fame member. Won 3 Indiania State Championsips at Muncie Centrai. 2 time Indiania Coach of the Year and a member of Indiania High School Hall of Fame.

Didn't he go on to coach at Morehead?

• 4 weeks later...
John Wooden. He was a pretty good coach.

Dayton High School, 1932-33 and 1933-34. His first coaching job.

WoodenDaytonPlaque.jpg

I wish we could lay a greater claim to Coach Wooden. Even with his eventual success at South Bend Central (his next job), it took several years to build championship caliber teams. What could have been, eh?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63023[/ATTACH]

I wish we could lay a greater claim to Coach Wooden. Even with his eventual success at South Bend Central (his next job), it took several years to build championship caliber teams. What could have been, eh?

I'd LOVE to hear the story as to how an All-American basketball player from West Lafayette, Indiana made his way to Dayton, Kentucky in 1932. He ended up back in South Bend - which makes much more sense.

BTW - Wooden won his first NCAA championship in his 18th year coaching college basketball (16th at UCLA). In this day and age he'd have been fired by UCLA before he ever had the chance to become a legend. Doubt he'd have come back to Dayton if it had played out that way...

Shucks; knew the story at one time, but now don't even remember what book it was. There was more about the South Bend Central job and all that he learned there...about learning to deal with parents, society, school principals, etc. Dayton, KY probably wasn't a whole lot different from his home town of Martinsville, IN.

After reading about Coach Bobby Keith at Clay County I would have to put him at or at least near the top of my list even though I never saw him coach. He had such an immense impact on the mountains, particularly Clay County. Everyone down there has a Coach Keith story. Seems like he squeezed every last drop of potential out of his guys.