Chip Gregg out at Holy Cross?

I've known Chip for 30 plus years, as we were both hired at the old St. Francis/St. George Hospital in Cincinnati to play on their travel softball team and we both went on to play on several other travel teams together.

I've known Lee Meeks for the past 8-9 years since my involvement with NewCath softball.

I consider both of them good friends, and have told both the circumstances of the firing and hiring is between them and I'm NOT picking sides, that's between them. Both know the game and have different styles of coaching, as is the difference with every coach.

Why was Freedom Fogt (who's daughter and mine have played on the same travel team in the past), Lee Meeks, and now Chip Gregg let go from the Cross????? None of us on this board really know, we can ONLY speculate. I feel bad for the players having to go through this.

Don't be so sure that people on this board don't know what happened.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freedom Fogt was not let go from Holy Cross. She left on her own accord.

In this case...I can say this with all honesty its not the AD. The strings are being pulled from a different entity. One that their leather ball takes funny bounces when it hits the ground unlike the yellow round ball we use.

I've known Chip for 30 plus years, as we were both hired at the old St. Francis/St. George Hospital in Cincinnati to play on their travel softball team and we both went on to play on several other travel teams together.

I've known Lee Meeks for the past 8

In this case...I can say this with all honesty its not the AD. The strings are being pulled from a different entity. One that their leather ball takes funny bounces when it hits the ground unlike the yellow round ball we use.

I've known Lee Meeks for the past 8

The fact that "strings can be pulled" is an administrative problem somewhere. Someone is allowing it to happen. You either back your coaches and your hiring decisions or you let "strings get pulled". That alone is an issue.

The way that the old coach was handled (when they made the hire of Chip) was also an administrative issue.

When you let the inmates run the asylum, there are issues. Like another poster said, it's not just softball.

If I'm reading this right, the football coach got the softball coach fired?! Why is the football coach involved in a girls sport let alone having a say in who coaches any sport there?! Inmates running the asylum?

If I'm reading this right, the football coach got the softball coach fired?! Why is the football coach involved in a girls sport let alone having a say in who coaches any sport there?! Inmates running the asylum?

Maybe the baseball coach?:idunno:

Isn't it possible that they are interested in "a" culture change, but this wasn't "the" change that they wanted to represent their school ?

Does HC have the right to determine what they want that culture to portray to their students and community ?

Not sure that this is an HC problem......

If JMU31 was still a member of this board, I can assure you that he would not hold back on what's going with HC softball.

The fact that "strings can be pulled" is an administrative problem somewhere. Someone is allowing it to happen. You either back your coaches and your hiring decisions or you let "strings get pulled". That alone is an issue.

The way that the old coach was handled (when they made the hire of Chip) was also an administrative issue.

When you let the inmates run the asylum, there are issues. Like another poster said, it's not just softball.

I believe the lack of support for coaches by school administration is a huge problem in high schools. It seems like if two parents get together and complain enough they can get a coach fired.

And the "football" coach used to be an assistant on the softball staff.

I think Lee Meeks is a good coach and a better man. Chip Gregg is a good coach too. To say this is not an administrative issue is laughable. A weak AD in place when they have others that coach other sports there that have been good AD's, and an alum that is now the AD at NCC. A good, strong athletic director is a huge component of athletic success at a school. A weak one finds the coaching carousel going round and round, and the regional appearances non-existent.

What's odd is the old coach was kinda pushed aside to bring Chip in. Something is weird about the situation. I can imagine Chip's style would be to push hard for success. Was that just too aggressive for where the program is at this time?

I've heard that story before.