Poll: Trump, Dems and GOP all unpopular

For the life of me, I can't figure out how some 3rd party hasn't found a way to capitalize on this. How can the public feel such contempt for the two major parties, yet continue to keep electing members of those parties to office.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how some 3rd party hasn't found a way to capitalize on this. How can the public feel such contempt for the two major parties, yet continue to keep electing members of those parties to office.

Habit, hope, no real alternative. The system is setup against 3rd parties. It's not fair but it is. The media really wont give the 3rd partie people the time of day. They don't get invited to debate the big two, do they?

Habit, hope, no real alternative. The system is setup against 3rd parties. It's not fair but it is. The media really wont give the 3rd partie people the time of day. They don't get invited to debate the big two, do they?

I get all that. It just seems like we are ripe for a 3rd party to be able to rise up despite all the hurdles you mention.

I thought we were ripe in November. With those two candidates, there was no better time. At least from a Presidential election standpoint.

We were, I agree...but the major third party candidate turned out to be less than impressive on his own.

If they poll high enough they get invited, Ross Perot was involved in debates during both of his runs.

I thought we were ripe in November. With those two candidates, there was no better time. At least from a Presidential election standpoint.

We were ripe until Gary started getting TV time and was no longer able to be taken seriously. So disappointing too. He had my vote until he started talking and it's not even the issues that turned me away from him. :no:

We were ripe until Gary started getting TV time and was no longer able to be taken seriously. So disappointing too. He had my vote until he started talking and it's not even the issues that turned me away from him. :no:

It's been 2 minutes since I read your post, and I still can't remember "Gary's" last name. (I don't want to google it)

I guess he wasn't that impressive.

One of the big reasons that a third party hasn't taken hold is because on the big ticket items like Abortion, Guns, Drugs, Immigration or any other there seems to only be two positions (right or wrong). As soon as they take a position one way or the other, they are pigeon holed into either being too liberal for conservatives or too conservative for liberals. Ross Perot ran has a third party candidate but was very closely aligned to conservative values and took votes away from Bush 41. Ralph Nader was a third party candidate that was closely aligned with liberal values and took votes from Al Gore costing him the election.

Until a third party candidate can figure out how to hit the MIDDLE, I don't see one succeeding. They will have to appeal to moderate liberals and conservatives as well as Independent swing voters.

I believe a third party would have to start at the local and state levels. By making gains there they could then to start to work on electing people to Congress. A true grass roots effort that would take a lot of work, effort and coordinating between the states.

The reason no third party has emerged is because there are no grass roots or small participation in local races. Every 2 to 4 years they run people for big elections. They should be running for Mayor, city council, county commissioner , state legislature seats. Play the long game .

^ Agree on both of the posts above. Wishful thinking to believe that just because the two major party candidates for President were horrific, a viable third party candidate would appear without doing due diligence farther down the food chain.

IMO, Trump is basically a third party...certainly closer to the R's than D's but plenty of R's cannot stand him, especially the R's in DC. I still think Ryan and McConnell wanted HRC to win over Trump.

I can't agree with your last statement, but they ate a :poop: sandwich for sure.