Did Umpire CB Bucknor Bet on the Braves Tonight?

You can't completely get rid of Ump's. There are still rules that need to be interpreted, and calls that cannot be automated, like balks, obstruction, etc. Fair and foul, out/safe also need to be called right away, and I can't think of a way to completely automate that in a way where the call gets done immediately and clearly so game flow doesn't get affected. To me, balls and strikes are the only part of the game that can be completely automated. Automating balls and strikes takes the most subjective and argued part of the game and standardizes it. And it should have already happened by now.

He struck Werth out looking on 6 consecutive balls last night. And balls that were not even close to being strikes.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't completely get rid of Ump's. There are still rules that need to be interpreted, and calls that cannot be automated, like balks, obstruction, etc. Fair and foul, out/safe also need to be called right away, and I can't think of a way to completely automate that in a way where the call gets done immediately and clearly so game flow doesn't get affected. To me, balls and strikes are the only part of the game that can be completely automated. Automating balls and strikes takes the most subjective and argued part of the game and standardizes it. And it should have already happened by now.

Baseball doesn't really have any flow to it as it is.....It would not be difficult to use technology for all calls IMO.

Baseball doesn't really have any flow to it as it is.....It would not be difficult to use technology for all calls IMO.

Baseball has flow. There are events and things that happen that lead to other things, like any other sport. It's not fast or continuous, but it has flow. For example, out safe calls need to happen immediately, especially in 3rd out situations to stop play (or allow it to continue). Any automated call has to happen in a way that both offense and defense clearly know what the call is. And any automated system has to be able to instantly analyze many different things...the catch, the tag, runner position/getting to the base, the infielder position (is he touching the bag with the ball on a force play). Sure it's pretty easy (usually) to figure out by watching video, but that sometimes takes several views. I really don't think there is a system that is sophisticated enough to be able to analyze all that instantly AND communicate the results instantly. Anything short of instant messes up game flow and makes the game hard to watch for spectators. And that doesn't include the quirky calls like obstruction, balks. There are so many moving parts to many baseball plays that just don't lend themselves to automation. And considering Umps get 99% of calls right, automating doesn't make sense. And no automating system can interpret rules.

Balls and strikes are the one thing that does lend itself to automation. Only two things to consider and that's the ball's position in regards to the plate and to the batter, both of which are stationery. It would also standardize the most disputed and argued part of the game, which in turn would help game flow.

Umpires all have a different strike zone and players, (batters or pitches doesn't matter) should have a understanding of each umpires strike zone. Now in saying that in viewing the game this gentlemen doesn't even belong behind the plate in a kids pickup game.

Umpires all have a different strike zone and players, (batters or pitches doesn't matter) should have a understanding of each umpires strike zone. Now in saying that in viewing the game this gentlemen doesn't even belong behind the plate in a kids pickup game.

EVERYBODY has a different understanding of the strike zone, not just umps (although as you mention, the umps view is the only one that counts and it's up to the players to adjust). And that's probably the most frustrating part of the game from a players and fans perspective.

I mentioned it a few weeks ago some where on here...HBO weekly sports show had a segment devoted to this. Technology was set up at a minor league game and worked great. Both hitters and pitchers as well as both managers loved it.

At this point it's just a matter of time, I think. Probably 10 years maybe less.

I saw the piece you were talking about. It was fascinating, IMO. After watching that, I'm convinced there is no need for an umpire to be calling balls and strikes. You'd still need one at home plate for obvious reasons, but he/she wouldn't be calling pitches.

The strike zone should change from batter to batter, it's not universal. That's part of the problem.

I saw the piece you were talking about. It was fascinating, IMO. After watching that, I'm convinced there is no need for an umpire to be calling balls and strikes. You'd still need one at home plate for obvious reasons, but he/she wouldn't be calling pitches.

I agree, it looked pretty simple to me.

The strike zone should change from batter to batter, it's not universal. That's part of the problem.

The dimensions change from batter to batter, but the definition shouldn't change from batter to batter, or from umpire to umpire. The definition changing is the problem.

I watched this entire game and he was awful both ways all night. It seems everytime hes on a game whether it be in the field or behind the plate he becomes the focal point of the game. Its time for him to go.

[video=youtube;x-S-eeInJVk]