It appears the Democrats have enough votes to filibuster Neil Gorsuch confirmation.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is you've voted for them many times over.

I know you don't agree but at this point in time anyway I still think a 3rd party vote is a throw away vote.

I wanted someone that I could vote for other then McConnel the last go round but all the Dems gave us was a candidate more about looks then substance.

Here is how you tell if a third party vote is wasted or not and I am not trying to stir. Look at the results. They have not ever been close to winning at this level. Ever. Until there is a strong candidate thats third party, the best it will ever be is a protest vote. Just facts.

Here is how you tell if a third party vote is wasted or not and I am not trying to stir. Look at the results. They have not ever been close to winning at this level. Ever. Until there is a strong candidate thats third party, the best it will ever be is a protest vote. Just facts.

If we could get a viable third party with enough representatives to keep both the D's and R's from having a majority, then we might see a return to statesmanship and what governing should look like.

Gorsuch SCOTUS nomination approved.

Senate Confirms Gorsuch to Supreme Court: A Look at Past Rulings | Fox Business

Now, lets take up those Federal Justice Suppression of Trumps Immigration/Travel suspensions at SCOTUS!

It will be interesting to see how he votes. My guess is there will be some disappointing decisions for conservatives in the next couple years.

If we could get a viable third party with enough representatives to keep both the D's and R's from having a majority, then we might see a return to statesmanship and what governing should look like.

I don't disagree but until we get to that point 3rd party candidates in federal elections are still wasting your vote as far as I'm concerned.

If the 2016 election has done only 1 thing it's proven that neither side is willing to listen to the people that vote. Despite the fact that the presidential election was as clear a sign for the desire for change as any as I can remember, very little has changed. And the congressional elections were a clear sign to me that the electorate wanted to actually get something done rather then the constant gridlock. No one in Washington is listening.

Does anybody else just not care about the Nuclear Option being used for nominees? In todays political climate, it is impossible to get anything done. Elections need to have consequences and now they do in a big, big way when it comes to nominees.

If they decided to do it for legislation, I would feel differently.

Does anybody else just not care about the Nuclear Option being used for nominees? In todays political climate, it is impossible to get anything done. Elections need to have consequences and now they do in a big, big way when it comes to nominees.

If they decided to do it for legislation, I would feel differently.

I'm of a mixed mind on this. As long as the parties keep a choke hold on membership do you actually see any progress on legislation being made? I heard on one of the news channels yesterday that the main reason more Democratic Senators didn't vote for Gorsuch was because the party threatened to primary them in upcoming elections if they had. Took a page out of the Tea Party playbook on that. It would be nice if before I die there was an actual budget passed rather then the continuing resolution funding we've done for the last several years. Today the Republicans could present a bill that would wipe out cancer, hunger and air pollution while saving enough money to pay off the national debt and the 49 Dems in the Senate would oppose it and 7 years ago when the Democrats were the majority the roles would have been reversed with the same results. I really like that in the Senate the majority can't just steam roll the minority but I also believe that as long as those legislative rules exist very little will ever get done. I also don't see either party getting a 60 vote majority in the foreseeable future. Rather then just the 60 vote threshold needed to advance legislation, I wish the rules would revert to the old fashioned Mr. Smith Goes to Washington days where Senators actually had to maintain a filibuster around the clock to stop legislation. Maybe if they actually had to work to do it rather then just voting no there would be more willingness to negotiate. After all that's why the Senate rules were put in place.

I get not liking the way it occurred, hell I'm not a fan of it, but what is it about Justice Gorsuch that people don't like?

He's absolutely qualified for the position and hasn't done anything through the confirmation process that would give anyone pause.

Nothing to not like, this was purely political.

I get not liking the way it occurred, hell I'm not a fan of it, but what is it about Justice Gorsuch that people don't like?

He's absolutely qualified for the position and hasn't done anything through the confirmation process that would give anyone pause.

The president who appointed him. I'm still waiting to hear one of the Democrats that was so incensed about this get up and with a straight face say that had the roles been reversed they wouldn't have done the same thing. They lost any pretense to a high ground when they started changing the rules on appointees.