Masters 2017

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved the Masters this year. Glad Sergio won. I wasn't a fan of his 2 decades ago but he seemed to have matured and was glad he won. Thought he choked again on the 72nd with a short putt he missed on just like he did when he lost the Open on missing a putt on the 72nd hole and then lost in the playoff. Glad he finally got his major. Well

deserved.

Huge congrats to Sergio!! This guy played the villain for most of his career and I'm glad to finally see him get the support he deserves. Couple that with him winning on Seve's birthday and it's really something special that we witnessed today.

So now that Sergio has a green jacket, he has to give up another title. So, who takes his place as "Greatest Golfer To Not Win A Major"?
It depends on how you phrase to question. Is it greatest active golfer who over his long career has never won a major and is "due". Or is it just best golfer regardless of age, to have not won a major yet? Because there are two different answers. Lee Westwood is without a doubt the best active golfer to never win a major over his career. Rickie Fowler is the best golfer right now to never win a major. But there are several more in the discussion like Kuchar and Matsuyama.

Missed a bunch of makeable putts late and had a terrible tee shot on the playoff hole. Let Garcia back into it after he hit the eagle putt.
He made good strokes on the putts they just didn't go in. It's not like Rose made some bogeys to let Sergio back in. Rose was playing fine and then Sergio drops in an eagle and all the sudden it's a match again. Sergio won it plain and simple. There was no choking on behalf of Rose. If anyone tried to choke it away it was Sergio with his bad bogeys on 11 and 12 and then his awful drive on 13 but managed to save par. Then missed an easier putt than Rose had on the 72nd hole.

He made good strokes on the putts they just didn't go in. It's not like Rose made some bogeys to let Sergio back in. Rose was playing fine and then Sergio drops in an eagle and all the sudden it's a match again. Sergio won it plain and simple. There was no choking on behalf of Rose. If anyone tried to choke it away it was Sergio with his bad bogeys on 11 and 12 and then his awful drive on 13 but managed to save par. Then missed an easier putt than Rose had on the 72nd hole.

That seems fair. As I noted, I wasn't watching intently; only operating off some replay highlights I had seen.

That seems fair. As I noted, I wasn't watching intently; only operating off some replay highlights I had seen.
And another thing with Rose and Garcia is neither one of them are good putters relative to the rest of the field. Throughout the week Sergio missed 3 putts inside of 3 feet and Rose missed some putts down the stretch. If Spieth or Day missed those putts then yeah they choked because they are the two best putters on tour, but Rose and Garcia missing putts is just kind of expected.

I think that's a good summary. I played tournament golf as a youngster and through high school, and I remember the pressure, and I remember missing and/or making putts in critical situations, but it doesn't mean I choked. I cannot even fathom how the pros can execute their game with so much going on around them. It appeared that Justin Rose might have tweaked his back earlier, and that may have come to haunt him. It was probably 20 to 30 minutes from walking off 18 green until they started the playoff, and he may have tightened up. Regardless, both of those guys were impressive on the largest stage. I really hadn't seen that in Garcia before, so hats off to him and congratulations.