Avatar/Profile Picture help for all of our new Members

theguru

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

If you upload an animated gif to be your avatar, the file has to be even smaller than one without animation. However, it still should look good when you upload it to BGP! There are other websites to help you reduce the size of an animated gif until it can be accepted by BGP. It might take a couple tries, but it is fun to do!

• 8 months later...

I've been noticing a lot of members out there without avatars. That's totally fine if that's what folks choose, but as Jumper_Dad stated above, having an avatar definitely does add to your online "personality"....which is a good thing here on BGP.

If anyone is confused on how to add an avatar, or change their existing avatar, Randy Parker gave directions up in post #2 of this thread. If anyone still has questions or is having trouble getting an avatar to work, feel free to ask a question here, send me a PM or send any of the other moderators a PM for some help :thumb:

Was literally just talking to another member about how difficult it has gotten to upload an avatar. :lol2:

Here's a slightly streamlined version of the original instructions @Randy Parker was nice enough to provide up in post #2. Maybe it will help simplify a bit:

1) Once you're logged in, click here: Edit Avatar.

2) In the Edit Avatar page under the "Custom Avatar" header, Option 1 allows you to copy/past the URL link to an online photo to use as your avatar, and Option 2 allows you to upload your own picture. The avatar photo can't be larger than 150x150 pixels or 14.6 KB. If the picture you want to use is too large, you can use whatever picture editing program you might have to reduce the size/resolution until it works.

3) Click "Save Changes" after you've successfully added your photo.

We hear you.

New software coming soon that will bring us more into the mainstream with technology.

I should clarify... The steps aren't hard, per se. It's just getting the image to fit. Seems like there was a time where it was "dummy proof," you just selected the picture and it did all the work for you. No biggie though, this is definitely a #FirstWorldProblem.

I have given up trying.

I have attempted to use a picture in my photos of my iPhone and it ALWAYS comes back as....."the file(s) uploaded were too large to process".

It's a little thumbnail picture. Frustrating!!!!!!

I'll compress it for you, if you want.