POTUS Makes Changes To National Security Council

Clyde

I guess I'm confused about what point you're making too. It sounds to me like you're saying both NYC's policy and Terry stops fall under the term "stop and frisk," so when someone says "stop and frisk" is unconstitutional you're replying that it is perfectly constitutional because of Terry. But 99.9% of people who refer to "stop and frisk" or "nationwide stop and frisk" are referring to the NYC policy, which was ruled unconstitutional.

The Judge called them Terry Stops...not me. I mentioned it because it was in the ruling.

In fact, Judge Scheindlin pointedly wrote in her opinion that she was “not ordering an end to the practice of stop and frisk.” She said they could continue if the city complied with court-ordered remedies to make sure that the stops and frisks did not violate the Constitution. (Scheindlin called these “Terry stops,” referring to Terry v. Ohio, in which the U.S. Supreme Court in 1968 ruled that a police officer can stop and frisk individuals where there is a reasonable basis for suspicion.)

Is Stop-and-Frisk Unconstitutional?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Judge called them Terry Stops...not me. I mentioned it because it was in the ruling.

In fact, Judge Scheindlin pointedly wrote in her opinion that she was “not ordering an end to the practice of stop and frisk.” She said they could continue if the city complied with court-ordered remedies to make sure that the stops and frisks did not violate the Constitution. (Scheindlin called these “Terry stops,” referring to Terry v. Ohio, in which the U.S. Supreme Court in 1968 ruled that a police officer can stop and frisk individuals where there is a reasonable basis for suspicion.)

Is Stop-and-Frisk Unconstitutional?

She ruled that the stops under the NYC policy lacked reasonable suspicion (which was the standard set by Terry) and were therefore unconstitutional. She repeatedly finds "there was no basis for a Terry stop" when going through the various examples of citizens being stopped under NYC's policy.

But when people say they want "nationwide stop and frisk" they are referring to the controversial NYC policy, not Terry, which has been national policy since 1968.

Just from looking at some results on Google it seems like people are playing a game of semantics to say "Trump was right, stop and frisk is constitutional," when it was very clear he was referring to the NYC policy, which was ruled unconstitutional.

She ruled that the stops under the NYC policy lacked reasonable suspicion (which was the standard set by Terry) and were therefore unconstitutional. She repeatedly finds "there was no basis for a Terry stop" when going through the various examples of citizens being stopped under NYC's policy.

But when people say they want "nationwide stop and frisk" they are referring to the controversial NYC policy, not Terry, which has been national policy since 1968.

Just from looking at some results on Google it seems like people are playing a game of semantics to say "Trump was right, stop and frisk is constitutional," when it was very clear he was referring to the NYC policy, which was ruled unconstitutional.

I looked at the Ruling, has nothing to do with Trump. The initial post I responded to said that Stop and Frisk was unconstitutional and I only tried to point out that it was not. The way NYC tried to implement it was ruled unconstitutional, nothing more nothing less.

You know I am modeling DJT. Throw stuff against the wall and see what sticks. Seems like the same people that voted for him, bite on this. It really is making me laugh during what i think is an absurd 1st week for the POTUS.

I know DJT...he is a good friend of mine...and you, BM are NO Donald J Trump:lol2::lol2:

I looked at the Ruling, has nothing to do with Trump. The initial post I responded to said that Stop and Frisk was unconstitutional and I only tried to point out that it was not. The way NYC tried to implement it was ruled unconstitutional, nothing more nothing less.

And that is what Trump referred to in the debate and that is why no one disputed it then. Because he was referencing an unconstitutional act that he feels was a great idea.

Executive Order for nationwide stop and frisk in 5......4.........3...............

And that is what Trump referred to in the debate and that is why no one disputed it then. Because he was referencing an unconstitutional act that he feels was a great idea.

Executive Order for nationwide stop and frisk in 5......4.........3...............

I sure hope not.

Stop and frisk is not unconstitutional. NYC dropped it after a judge ruled that the way they used it was unconstitutional. However the judge was clear that she did not order an end to the program, only that parts of it be changed.

Stop and frisk is not unconstitutional. NYC dropped it after a judge ruled that the way they used it was unconstitutional. However the judge was clear that she did not order an end to the program, only that parts of it be changed.

Are you okay with nationwide stop and frisk?

I know you are worried about this, but President can't implement policy for local police departments...just saying.