Attention middle school official who worked my game today

PP1

I realize that it is not high school, but it is not up to you to determine if warmups are ten minutes or eight minutes. You do not decide how long half time is. If I question, please do not reply with "it's middle school coach, not varsity." My kids and parents want to win. To me it is serious. When I lose, I hear it from the crowd too.If I'm being difficult, then give me a technical, don't pretend like my game doesn't matter. If you have some place you have to be, I suggest you get a sub and not determine that overtime should only be one minute when our rules say it should be three minutes.

End of rant.

You should never let officials decide the outcome of a game.

They didn't. My players decided it. But it is not up to officials to determine the length of a half time or decide to move up the start time because the previous game ended early. That is a host school decision.

Middle School officiating this year has been absolutely horrendous!! Sometimes I just sit there and laugh because some of the stuff they call is just hilarious... Really really bad!!

Supposed to be using KHSAA certified officials, if their not, its on the host school.

1) Completely agree that officials should be giving full attention to their game at that time, irrespective of level...that's the deal

2) Much like all other professions, a bad official should not make a cumulative response to all officials.

3) @NKYBandit - your global statements are weak at best, good luck watching a game with no officials. I'm sure you have a whistle and I can get you a shirt so you can hone your craft.

4) Grade & Middle School is generally a training ground for officials. they should have oversight, evaluation and feedback from seasoned officials on proper execution of their duties.

5) @PP1 I find this atrocious and would encourage you to talk to administration about this so it can be addressed. Unfortunately, some people are "on the clock" when they officiate and do not make it about the kids first.

1) Completely agree that officials should be giving full attention to their game at that time, irrespective of level...that's the deal

2) Much like all other professions, a bad official should not make a cumulative response to all officials.

3) @NKYBandit - your global statements are weak at best, good luck watching a game with no officials. I'm sure you have a whistle and I can get you a shirt so you can hone your craft.

4) Grade & Middle School is generally a training ground for officials. they should have oversight, evaluation and feedback from seasoned officials on proper execution of their duties.

5) @PP1 I find this atrocious and would encourage you to talk to administration about this so it can be addressed. Unfortunately, some people are "on the clock" when they officiate and do not make it about the kids first.

To your point #4. How much evaluation actually takes place during they year.

To your point #4. How much evaluation actually takes place during they year.

Depends on who is assigning or if people are just working games for cash. I think that part of the KHSAA mandate for middle schools springs from issues related to lack of supervision / training / game management.

But to your point, probably not a lot in majority of cases.

I have been coaching middle school and aau for many years. Most coaches and parents have it all wrong. I have never had any issues with officials it's always the parents. As coaches we are trying to teach kids that there is adversities. Some officials are not very good but they are trying their best. No official is trying to screw a team or a certain player. When I get a bad official I preach to the kids play thru it figure it out overcome. When you start saying the officials suck or is screwing us you are starting to make excuses. That's the problem with the youth today instead of figuring out they make excuses. As long as an official is running and in position I'm good with call good or bad for me. Remember we are trying to raise good human beings by using sports as a tool. Your son is not going to the NBA and if happens to go the bad official is not going to lessen his chances. The suburbanite parents is the most major problem with youth sports stop living your dream thru the kid. Don't harp on the official or the kid bad game. Harp on the good attitude or lack of hustle. The official misses calls and your kid misses free throws and layups. I have coached 1000s of games and never has a call cost me a game. After the game I always ask how free throws how many layups how many times did we lack on defense.

I have been coaching middle school and aau for many years. Most coaches and parents have it all wrong. I have never had any issues with officials it's always the parents. As coaches we are trying to teach kids that there is adversities. Some officials are not very good but they are trying their best. No official is trying to screw a team or a certain player. When I get a bad official I preach to the kids play thru it figure it out overcome. When you start saying the officials suck or is screwing us you are starting to make excuses. That's the problem with the youth today instead of figuring out they make excuses. As long as an official is running and in position I'm good with call good or bad for me. Remember we are trying to raise good human beings by using sports as a tool. Your son is not going to the NBA and if happens to go the bad official is not going to lessen his chances. The suburbanite parents is the most major problem with youth sports stop living your dream thru the kid. Don't harp on the official or the kid bad game. Harp on the good attitude or lack of hustle. The official misses calls and your kid misses free throws and layups. I have coached 1000s of games and never has a call cost me a game. After the game I always ask how free throws how many layups how many times did we lack on defense.

Great post! Thank you!

If you can tell me you do not give trophies for finishing in second place, you are my new hero!!

Great post!