Track the former Wildcats (2016-17)

Sometimes it happens. It is a one and out tournament. Look at all the talent Dean Smith had over all those years and he only won 2 titles.

Agreed but at the same time the talent Cal has had is unprecedented. Look at this thread. I think of myself and how bothered I am that in 1998, 1999, 2002, 2011 and now 2017 that Duke didn't win it all. In all of those years they were clearly at worst the second or third most talented team in the country. Duke has teams with titles that weren't as talented as the teams in those years I mentioned. Looking at the talent UK has had since Cal's arrival and only one title is baffling IMO.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2008 & 2015 losses hurt the most.

2008 -- Wall, Cousins, Patterson & Bledsoe in Cal's 1st year. It was an awesome season from the very first game, and the excitement was back in Lexington. That loss to WVU was so deflating.

2015 - Undefeated and easily the most talented team in the country. The entire season had a weird feel to it because of the platoon system, but it seemed to work. A couple bad breaks at the end and you lose to a good college team...and everybody knew Wisconsin would have a let down against Duke in the title game, which made it sting even worse.

2008 & 2015 losses hurt the most.

2008 -- Wall, Cousins, Patterson & Bledsoe in Cal's 1st year. It was an awesome season from the very first game, and the excitement was back in Lexington. That loss to WVU was so deflating.

2015 - Undefeated and easily the most talented team in the country. The entire season had a weird feel to it because of the platoon system, but it seemed to work. A couple bad breaks at the end and you lose to a good college team...and everybody knew Wisconsin would have a let down against Duke in the title game, which made it sting even worse.

It was 2009-10 season when Wall, Bledsoe and Cousins were there. Duke won the title that year also because Duke got to face WVU instead of UK.

Not to rub it in but I was glad UK lost both oth those years one game before a Duke matchup. I don't think Duke beats either of those UK teams.

Call me a UK hater all you want but the fact that Calipari only has one title with all of this NBA talent on the floors of arenas across the nation is despicable. Period.

The best team rarely wins it. If college basketball was like the NBA and played series instead of a one an out tournament. Then UK probably has at least 3 titles under Cal right now.

The 2010 had a bad night shooting while WVU decided to know how to shoot threes for one night. 2015 well that just sucked. Only game all year they didn't make the plays at the end of the game. If only the refs would have called it the same way they did the title game 2 days later and called those touch fouls on Wisconsin. Then UK wins easily. :D

The best team rarely wins it. If college basketball was like the NBA and played series instead of a one an out tournament. Then UK probably has at least 3 titles under Cal right now.

The 2010 had a bad night shooting while WVU decided to know how to shoot threes for one night. 2015 well that just sucked. Only game all year they didn't make the plays at the end of the game. If only the refs would have called it the same way they did the title game 2 days later and called those touch fouls on Wisconsin. Then UK wins easily. :D

:lol2: :thumb:

Agreed but at the same time the talent Cal has had is unprecedented. Look at this thread. I think of myself and how bothered I am that in 1998, 1999, 2002, 2011 and now 2017 that Duke didn't win it all. In all of those years they were clearly at worst the second or third most talented team in the country. Duke has teams with titles that weren't as talented as the teams in those years I mentioned. Looking at the talent UK has had since Cal's arrival and only one title is baffling IMO.

I think the analogy that Voice of Reason gave using Dean Smith as a comparison is a good one. Smith coached 33 years and won 2 titles, and his teams were loaded with NBA caliber talent nearly every year. In addition his great players returned for multiple years, most the time all 4. Cal hasn't had that scenario, losing guys like Anthony Davis and John Wall after one season.

It's hard to win the NCAA tournament. It's a one and done tournament and it takes not only skilled players and coaching but also luck. And the setup is not like it was when UCLA was winning year after year in the '60's when they only had to win 4 games and the first two were usually played in California.

I agree that UK should have won a couple more but sometimes the best team doesn't win. Duke had the best team in 1998 but UK won. UK had the best team in 2010 and 2015 but Duke won. It happens.