Conner 18 Cooper 7

LVGambla32

I understand about Cooner Field, indeed it is an old surface but Cooper was just installed (5 years ago?), so why is it in such bad shape? Has it been taken care of properly, meaning watering, reseeding and feeding or was someone upset by not getting turf when it was constructed? Yes I know it is used a lot for soccer and such but to be in such sad shape in such a short time, I don't understand?

It's always been in bad shape. There was no time the field was good.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the Boone County schools with grass fields, BCHS's is in the best shape. Conner's is rough and Cooper's is simply a mess. I'm not sure what any of the schools do to maintain the fields - doesn't appear to be a priority.

Ryle's field is tremendous - maybe the other schools can find donors to gift new fields. Upgrading athletic facilities are probably #32 on the list of BC school district priorities.

I understand the #32 on the BOE list but if many of the parents and supporters of both schools want Turf, I am sure they will find a way. Has anyone contacted the NFL about a Grant, as CovCath did?

It's always been in bad shape. There was no time the field was good.

Hellbird, even when it was brand new? If so, why did they accept the finished product? Meaning if a electrician, plumber, or some parts of the Cooper building wasn't finished correctly, wouldn't the BOE make them come back and fix the problem? If the field wasn't installed properly (sod, level, watering system whatever) why didn't the BOE make whoever did the work, come back and fix the field!

Really not trying to be the bad guy here just trying to understand how/why a relatively new field, is in such bad shape.

Hellbird, even when it was brand new? If so, why did they accept the finished product? Meaning if a electrician, plumber, or some parts of the Cooper building wasn't finished correctly, wouldn't the BOE make them come back and fix the problem? If the field wasn't installed properly (sod, level, watering system whatever) why didn't the BOE make whoever did the work, come back and fix the field!

Really not trying to be the bad guy here just trying to understand how/why a relatively new field, is in such bad shape.

I don't know, that info is above me, I'm just a fan. I do know there was no money for a lot of things when the school opened. One of my daughters went there the year they opened and was a Cheerleader and they didn't even have mats to practice on due to no money. So when you don't have the money then you have to make

due with what you have I guess.

Now I will say Cooper does get more than a bad rap for their field when there are 2 other BC schools with pretty bad fields also. Conners is just as bad and Boone's isn't Much better and they've been around a whole lot longer

than Cooper and has had plenty of time to upgrade. We had tornados and severe thunderstorms just days leading up to last nights game. If it were played on any of the other 2 grass fields in BC it would have been the same.

I did want to give a shout out to Dante Hendrix also.

Last night was kind of special for me

and my son. My sons college team

had a bye this weekend so he was able to come home and watch the game last night. He wanted to be there for Dante as Dante going into the game was only 2 receptions short of breaking the schools single season receptions record that was held by my son. So we got to watch from the sidelines together as Dante got the new record. Couldn't think of a better person than Dante to break that record!! My son is a huge fan of Dante as he got to play for years with Dante's brother Aaron Morgan. Great kid and great accomplishment for a great player that will only continue to get better at the next level!!

Way to go Dante!!!!!! Congrats!!

Typical Cooper Conner game. Hard fought game by both teams that comes down to a few plays that decides the outcome.

Both teams will have tough games coming up. However I wouldn't be surprised at all if these two teams find away to see each other again in the regional championship game if they can get by tough but teams they can compete with and possibly beat in the second round.

If I were to donate time and/or money to improve a field, it would not be Cooper's field. I care more about another team. (And I have contributed to the improvement of my team's fields.)

What about the people who care about Cooper's field? Do you care about Cooper's field? Or are you happy with it?

I care enough to know that thousands of dollars are poured into that field every year to make it look nice in August. I care enough to know that myself and other individuals have put in numerous hours on that field.

I also know that whoever built the field set it up for failure from the beginning as it sits in a hole and drains very poorly. I hear a lot of people complaining about Cooper's field but no one wants to jump in and help when it comes to fixing it

I care enough to know that thousands of dollars are poured into that field every year to make it look nice in August. I care enough to know that myself and other individuals have put in numerous hours on that field.

I also know that whoever built the field set it up for failure from the beginning as it sits in a hole and drains very poorly. I hear a lot of people complaining about Cooper's field but no one wants to jump in and help when it comes to fixing it

Good for you for putting your efforts behind your words. Has a new drainage plan been looked at? Is it cost prohibitive? What about usage plan that could take some wear and tear off the field? You all have probably looked at all these options but I am throwing these thoughts out there just in case.

The condition of the field is really unacceptable. The surface they are playing on is a dirt not grass field. It not only hampers the performance of the athletes but also can cause injuries. The Boone County School board should be ashamed of themselves. Unfortunately, they don't care.

As a former resident of Boone County, I could never understand the comments concerning the Board of Education members. Then, as now, all I hear is a dislike for them, if so maybe dislike them, like it seems, how do they keep getting elected?

Finally if the field was built for failure, why was it accepted? That to me at least, would be the biggest question that I would be asking those in charge!

BTW I always thought that the BCBOE should have built one very and I mean very nice Football/Soccer stadium for games only, that all the schools could use. Now not as big as some of those Texas HS have but a very nice one on the lines of Cincinnati St. Xavier.

Good for you for putting your efforts behind your words. Has a new drainage plan been looked at? Is it cost prohibitive? What about usage plan that could take some wear and tear off the field? You all have probably looked at all these options but I am throwing these thoughts out there just in case.

It's a grass field just like many other firlds

that used to be grass. Growing up and playing many sports there was only 1 grass field in the entire area that was worth playing on and that was Beechwoods when it was grass. It was easily the best field in all of NKY. There were some horrendous fields that Coopers and Conners would be considered Beechwood like compared too. Dixie used to have the absolute worst field ever. There were rocks etc on that field than grass it seemed.

Yes Cooper and Conner and Boone's fields are not the best but has it become so wimpified anymore that we can't hold football games on anything less than NFL standard type fields? Yes I'd rather have field turf but I'm not losing sleep over the fact we have grass fields.

Does Cooper always struggle to run the ball?

No.

Jackson last year against Conner had over 300 yds rushing against them in their 2 games. This year he has almost 1000 yards rushing. I wouldn't call that always struggling. Last night was the worst offensive night for the Jags all year. It happens to the best of them.

Of the Boone County schools with grass fields, BCHS's is in the best shape. Conner's is rough and Cooper's is simply a mess. I'm not sure what any of the schools do to maintain the fields - doesn't appear to be a priority.

Ryle's field is tremendous - maybe the other schools can find donors to gift new fields. Upgrading athletic facilities are probably #32 on the list of BC school district priorities.

I was at Boone County's game Friday night and expected a mud pit. To my surprise, the field looked really good and held up very well during the game. Sure, players were slipping at times but the field was in good shape immediately after the heavy rains fell.