What State Has the Best HS Football ?

Toothpick

IMO comparing Kentucky's best football programs(Trinity, St. X, Highlands) to the top programs of the Top Ten state for high school football is almost laughable. The only team in recent memory from Ky to beat a solid out of state opponent was Trinity over Elder but i dont think that Elder was the best in Ohio that year, someone can correct me if im wrong. Football is just a whole different game is taken to a whole other level in most of these football states.

Whole different game? I think the rules are about the same for all of the states. If KY had the population numbers that TX, FL, and CA enjoy, I believe we would do just fine. It is hard not to notice that the above mentioned states are 3 of the biggest states in the US.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whole different game? I think the rules are about the same for all of the states. If KY had the population numbers that TX, FL, and CA enjoy, I believe we would do just fine. It is hard not to notice that the above mentioned states are 3 of the biggest states in the US.

What i was implying with its a whole different game is that they take there love and dedication for football to another level. I mean in some of these towns you have everything closed down cause everyone is gone to the football game. You dont see to much of that in Kentucky. Ky does have some good solid programs but these other states have much better teams than we do. I mean i was in Fort Walton Beach, Florida at a school that had a High School football stadium that held over 30,000 ppl and they were only a mediocre team at best. Thats what i mean by a whole different game not the rules.

but i dont think that Elder was the best in Ohio that year, someone can correct me if im wrong.

Elder went on to win the Ohio Division 1 state title that season--their first.

As to this thread, even given the criteria of NFL interest, college interest, etc., I don't understand how Mississippi is the top of the list. But for those arguing for California... look at what happened to the NFL in Los Angeles.

Definitely not a down year for Elder.

What i was implying with its a whole different game is that they take there love and dedication for football to another level. I mean in some of these towns you have everything closed down cause everyone is gone to the football game. You dont see to much of that in Kentucky. Ky does have some good solid programs but these other states have much better teams than we do. I mean i was in Fort Walton Beach, Florida at a school that had a High School football stadium that held over 30,000 ppl and they were only a mediocre team at best. Thats what i mean by a whole different game not the rules.

I agree with you. It is obvious that some areas take football more seriously than we do. However, I think that the interest level in this state is rising every year. My point is: more people = more interest, more resources, better teams.

Do you seriously believe that? Florida is hands down the best state for High School and College Football. The big 3 in Florida(U of Florida, Florida State, and Miami) recruit 90% of the players from there so that in itself tells you something. Texas would be next in football, but Mississippi wouldnt make the Top 10 IMO.

I agree. It is tough to find a division I scholarship program that doesn't have a person on their roster from the state of Florida.

How can they determine what state has the best high school football by looking at interest in college and pro teams? I know plenty of people that root for college or pro teams that don't give two hoots about high school football (either because they did not play, don't know anyone on the team or did not grow up in the area).

I think that Ohio definitely needs to be near the top. I don't see any other state hosting the Kirk Herbstreit challenge (it helps that Herbstreit is from Ohio and went to OSU). To have enough teams in Ohio that compete with the best from around the country says a lot about the quality of high school football in Ohio.