Is Western Kentucky Class 3A Really Wide Open?

gchs_uk9

Belfry has long been established as the Class 3A favorite this season and Corbin has been a strong #2 all season, as well. Both of those teams, however, are located in the eastern bracket. The western side has seen any number of potential contenders listed. After three or four games, though, is western Kentucky really that open or do we have a good idea who will make it to Bowling Green?

BGP's ranked western teams are:

3. Lexington Catholic

4. Caldwell County

5. Boyle County

6. Central

7. Bardstown

8. Waggener

10. Garrard County

Western teams just outside the top ten are:

Adair County

Elizabethtown

Paducah Tilghman

I think it is too early to tell. Several of those teams in the west are young teams, and young teams sometimes take a while to develop but when they do, they do it by leaps and bounds. We are at the point in the season where everything that has happened so far can be thrown out the window.

I could see any of those teams listed peaking at the right time and making a serious run at the title. Any of them.

I wish we could take the top players from the top 3 western teams and try to have a competitive final. (I'd still take Belfry by 3 TDs).

In the western playoffs this year lets let every winner of a playoff game take 1 kid of their choosing from the team they just beat to move on with them for the rest of the tournament.

I know in 2009 PT started 1-4....and finished 4-6 before they got hot and ended up winning state. Although I don't think that this years PT team is on that same course, I could see one of the Western teams catching a hot streak and surprising people all the way to Bowling green...but more than likely it will be LexCath....no matter who it is they won't beat this years Belfry team. IMO classes 2a,3a and 5a are all but decided....but that's y they play the game, anything can happen.

I think it's open as far as who is going to be playing Thanksgiving weekend, but I think that's probably where Lex Cath takes it.

There should be a lot of good games, though.

This is kind of my thinking, too. A big point to note is that with it being an even numbered year, whoever wins District 4 (Boyle, Garrard, LexCath, Western Hills) will have home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

Yeah right :lol2:
I'm serious. Everybody has made a foregone conclusion that Belfry will cakewalk to the title, but we all know it ain't that easy. There are teams in the east capable of beating them, even if it doesn't look that way on paper. Look at the regular season game with Lawrence Co last year for an example. Bad things can happen and it is not easy to keep a group of teenagers focused week in and week out, especially when everyone they know is telling them how great they are.