Stoops on thin ice?

Fire Inside

I disagree. Who wouldn't have hired Cal? Its not like he had to recruit Cal to go coach at Mississippi State or Rutgers or some lowly school. It's Kentucky man you don't need a good AD to hire a great coach. Thats like saying OSU or Bama needed a great AD to get Urban Meyer and Nick Saban to come to their respective schools. I think not looking at the AD because he hired a great basketball coach is taking the lazy way out.

I don't think it has to do with basketball. Look at all the other sports. Kentucky has shown improvements in almost every one since Mitch became AD. To get rid of him, solely because of football, would be a mistake IMO.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. Who wouldn't have hired Cal?

Barnhart? I'm sure Cal would have walked to Lexington when Billy G. got the call.

It's kind of like fans advocating for Briles. It gets a little easier to overlook a reputation when losing becomes to difficult to bear.

I don't think it has to do with basketball. Look at all the other sports. Kentucky has shown improvements in almost every one since Mitch became AD. To get rid of him, solely because of football, would be a mistake IMO.
I hate to be this guy and say the other sports outside of football and basketball don't matter because they absolutely do and they should be supported because they are succeeding. But I firmly believe that athletic programs as a whole do better when either their football team or basketball team are doing really well. UK athletics as a whole got better when Cal was hired. More winning for football or basketball equals more money flooding into the program and more money that can be spent on the other programs. Its the same for every school that has a successful football or basketball team. Football at Bama, OSU, Michigan, FSU, etc. and basketball at UK, Duke, UNC,etc. fund the university both directly and indirectly. Obviously the capital gained from a winning football team funds the university, but the big donors that finance a large part of a university's budget are more likely to donate if they are donating to a successful cause.

Barnhart? I'm sure Cal would have walked to Lexington when Billy G. got the call.

It's kind of like fans advocating for Briles. It gets a little easier to overlook a reputation when losing becomes to difficult to bear.

I remember fans calling for Calipari to be hired when they hired Billy G to begin with. I honestly didn't understand the hire myself. Yeah Cal had a reputation for skirting by the rules a little bit, but its better than hire a drunk.

Football drives the bus. Even as successful as UK basketball has been the profits they are able to generate pale in comparison to what a successful football program could do.

Football has struggled, but overall UK Athletics are improving...facilities are improved for every sport and good coaches are in place.

Blaiming the AD is a lazy way out, IMO.

Agreed. Other than football UK athletics are in a good place. Not to mention you don't fire the guy who A.) Brought the only sport that really matters arguably the best basketball coach at UK ever in John Calipari and B.) manages to keep John Calipari happy enough to stay at UK instead of going for more money in the NBA.

How many millions of dollars in lost attendance will it take to split the difference?

Over 35,000 of the tickets each game are already paid for by way of season tickets which means there won't be much lost income if people don't show up. There may be an impact on concession sales but really by not showing up people are Just showing players and recruits we don't care about football.

Matt Jones just said on KSR that a person close to Shannon Dawson says UK didn't even change their play call signs from last season and Dawson was simply telling the defensive coordinator what was coming. Ouch if that's true.

:lol2: If that isn't a perfect example of how far in over his head Stoops is, I don't know what is.