Kaepernick refuses to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people

HammerTime

Ali was convicted of draft evasion, sentenced to five years in prison, fined $10,000 and banned from boxing for three years. It took the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn that decision. Show me how Kaepernick's symbolism of not standing for the playing of the national anthem is the same. It's not remotely close.

I never said THE STAND was the same. I said THIS is a stand unlike Jordan, Melo, etc.

My Ali analogy, obviously missed by the masses, is that LIKE CK Ali was KILLED by the public when he took a stand against white America.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So it looks like I need to add some more so people can understand the example I used with Ali. I thought it was clear but it wasn't. My fault, I guess.

Ali refused to fight for many reasons. The main reason was he saw that white boys were running to Canada or going to college to avoid the draft and having to serve like his fellow black brothers. He even once said "my enemies are white people. Not VietCong."

Villified. He, too, was making a lot of money at the time(like CK). He took a stand that cost him a lot of money. People (read: white America) hated him. You can only imagine the memes that would have popped up in 1967.

So like CK , Ali said America oppressed black folk. So in 1967 Ali was taking the exact same stand as CK.

Is the stand right? Depends on what lens you're looking through. Depends on how you interpret "oppressed." Depends on what he's saying is wrong (hint: It's NOT that blacks should be ALLOWED to commit crimes.)

So, again, in 1967 everyone of us would have been on BGP and FB killing Ali than we are with CK.

With time and with emotion removed from the situation some re-evaluated the stance and used history to make a judgment as to the veracity of the comments made.

That's the point I was making with Ali.

Don't worry, I'm sure I'm not the only person who read Mike Freeman's article on Bleacher Report from Friday.

I never said THE STAND was the same. I said THIS is a stand unlike Jordan, Melo, etc.

My Ali analogy, obviously missed by the masses, is that LIKE CK Ali was KILLED by the public when he took a stand against white America.

David Duke was killed by the public by his statements also, should we say CK and David Duke are similar?

Back from church. Let me catch up.

1. @ggclfan Why does it matter how other countries treat black citizens? He lives here.

2. Race relations today as compared to the 60s is 100% irrelevant. Why do we keep saying it's better than it used to be in this particular debate? CK lives in today's world.

3. To say that black folk have the exact same opportunity as white folk is 100% correct if you're talking legally and constitutionally. If that's what you want to base your belief on, cool. It's not 100% real world but.. your call.

4. I'm a bit surprised some of you can't follow the Ali in 1967 analogy. Seems pretty easy to follow.

5. PP92 is correct in that we as white America must be careful about telling black people "how it really is." It's like me telling a police officer how easy his job is and why he/she shouldn't complain.

Don't worry, I'm sure I'm not the only person who read Mike Freeman's article on Bleacher Report from Friday.

I'm glad. I do not read BR but I'll assume he made a similar argument.

It's not really a difficult argument to make.

Here's the article I found when I looked for an example of a quote from Ali regarding black v white.

Muhammad Ali embodied black pride before it was safe or popular | NOLA.com

So now that you're satisfied that I sourced my quote properly why don't we get back to the actual point.

Back from church. Let me catch up.

1. @ggclfan Why does it matter how other countries treat black citizens? He lives here.

2. Race relations today as compared to the 60s is 100% irrelevant. Why do we keep saying it's better than it used to be in this particular debate? CK lives in today's world.

3. To say that black folk have the exact same opportunity as white folk is 100% correct if you're talking legally and constitutionally. If that's what you want to base your belief on, cool. It's not 100% real world but.. your call.

4. I'm a bit surprised some of you can't follow the Ali in 1967 analogy. Seems pretty easy to follow.

5. PP92 is correct in that we as white America must be careful about telling black people "how it really is." It's like me telling a police officer how easy his job is and why he/she shouldn't complain.

Again, please give examples to show how today is similar to the 60's in oppression toward blacks people.

Race relations today compared to the 60's IS 100% relevant if you are

using Ali and what he was protesting and comparing that to CK and what he is protesting.

Now if your point this entire time is just to say people in the past were hated by the public for statements they made at the time then yes, you are correct. But if your point is to say that people in the past who made statements that they had proof to support their statements but we're still hates is the same as CK making statements that have no evidence of being true are the same then that is what I disagree with.

I'm glad. I do not read BR but I'll assume he made a similar argument.

It's not really a difficult argument to make.

Here's the article I found when I looked for an example of a quote from Ali regarding black v white.

Muhammad Ali embodied black pride before it was safe or popular | NOLA.com

So now that you're satisfied that I sourced my quote properly why don't we get back to the actual point.

:lol2:

Again, please give examples to show how today is similar to the 60's in oppression toward blacks people.

Race relations today compared to the 60's IS 100% relevant if you are

using Ali and what he was protesting and comparing that to CK and what he is protesting.

HB, I can't make my analogy any more clear so therefore I cannot respond to the above.

I disagree. I think it's a QB on his way to being irrelevant in the NFL doing something for attention. I think it's simply symbolism over substance. The only thing he has to lose is possibly some endorsements that he seems to get very few of. His "stand" is he seems to think all white cops are racist, I completely disagree with him. Will he refuse to play a game in Chicago, where so many blacks are killed by other blacks? I'm betting no.

Is his stand against white America also against Rick and Teresa Kaepernick?