Mayfield vs Marshall County

I am gonna go out on a limb and say if the Cards can shut down Williams and keep him under 150 yards of total offense then the Cards come out with the win. If Williams has a field day in the running and passing receiving department then the Marshalls can knock off the Cards for the 2nd straight year. Although I don't think that the boys will let that happen again. After watching Marshall the other night I believe that we can get pressure on Barga as he is not the running threat that Ard was a season ago and is not a good a passer right now; so the Cards D can concentrate on solely stopping Williams and make the Marshalls find another weapon Friday night.

On offense...well that is another question as Marshall County's "D" looked good...although Daviess County's offense was nothing to write home about. If Shelton can continue throwing the way he did last week against Caldwell then the Cards should be able to move the ball against Marshall and open up some holes for Murrell to run through. There is also a possibility that Travis Brown "could" be back this week...although how much, if any, that he plays and to what affect will have to be determined. I would give the kicking game edge to Mayfield with the foot of Tommy McNutt...and this is no offense to Marshalls Kicking game...but I would give McNutt the edge over any other kicker in the state...especially on kickoffs.

Should be a heck of a game to see this Friday at Marshall. Another factor is going to be be the temperature and whether or not it cools up any. We all saw the cramping by the Cardinal players that went both ways. If we start cramping again this Friday night that could spell disaster for the boys in red and black.

Cards get revenge for last year...24-14

GO CARDS :fight:

Who wins this one and how do they do it? Can Mayfield slow down the Williams kid from Marshall? How will Mayfield's O-line do?

Let's hear it.

Well, this one is tough, I think that Mayfield can pull it off if they can contain the Williams kid and Mayfield has been known for its defense. Marshall has an excellent defense from what I saw on the field against Daviess which could give our frosh RB fits. Shelton displayed a very good throwing arm which was a nice thing to see in the first game so that should keep Marshalls defense in check. Anybody know if Travis Brown for Mayfield will be back for this game??

I don't think the boys from Mayfield will be waltzing in this game after last years 28-0 loss!!

Mayfield 21-Marshall-14

I honestly feel like Mayfield can put up 21 to 28 points on this Marshall defense. The question is Mayfield's D. If they can hold Williams and Marshall's Offense to two touchdowns they should come away with a "W". Our defense will win this ballgame for us.

I honestly feel like Mayfield can put up 21 to 28 points on this Marshall defense. The question is Mayfield's D. If they can hold Williams and Marshall's Offense to two touchdowns they should come away with a "W". Our defense will win this ballgame for us.

Agreed, how many times in the past has Mayfield done this? Too many to remember for me, :thumb:

This is the first game that will show the Cards what they do right or wrong.I look for this to be a tight game within 6 or 7 points. Mayfield has a nice defense but the offense is going to have to put up points and use the clock to help out the few players that dont go both ways. Last years game was over by half time because of mental errors and turnovers and if that happens again with this very young team , the same thing could happen.

This Marshall defense is pretty good. I'll be surprised if the Cardinals put more than 14 on the board.

I agree with you on that one. I watched Marshall County at a passing camp and their defense looked to be really strong. They have a pretty good linebacker i cant remember his name or number, but i do remember that he played for Marshall County, and he appeared to be the leader of what looked to be a strong defense.

Marshall County by 13 in this one.:ylsuper:

I agree with you on that one. I watched Marshall County at a passing camp and their defense looked to be really strong.

Surely you have enough sense to not put any serious stock in passing leagues;)

Marshall is a clear cut favorite in my mind and if its anywhere close to the heat index of last weeks game they win handily. Marshall will have alot more athletes than Caldwell and few if any going both ways and this seems to me to be to big a herdle for a young Mayfield team, later in the season I would feel better about the Cards chances but right now Marshall has got to be a favorite

I think this is going to be a really good game in West KY Friday night at War Memorial. A few thoughts about this one...

1. McNutt kicked all kickoffs in the endzone last week, big advantage against the speedsters of Marshall ala Williams

2. Coach Lawson of Mayfield, will have something to key and contain Williams while also getting some pressure on Barga at QB

3. Mayfield's lack of depth may be the reason Marshall pulls it out in the end! 40 varsity players versus 55 big difference in 90 degree weather such as what's predicted for Friday!

4. Turnovers will be prime opportunity for the other team to turn the momentum...as both "D's" are very good! A fluke play may also determine the outcome of this one!

I'll take with the Cards in a mild upset, last week it was a pleasure talking with the Marshall fans during the bowl game, Lawson has done a good job in Draffenville! Should be a good crowd Friday night!

Mayfield-19

Marshall-14

I feel like both teams are going to have to find weapons other than their main ones...for Mayfield they will need a big game from Murrell (tough for a freshman in his 2nd varsity start) and a huge game from Sherrill at wide out as I believe that Mayfield can pass on Marshall county if the line gives Shelton time to throw the football. Plus this year the roles will be reveresed as a year ago the Cards had to keep an eye on Ard in the backfield which hurt the pass rush...and same this year for Marshall County as Shelton is a very dangerous dual threat...even more than in years past. The question is can Marshall find another weapon to go along with Williams...as Mayfield has always found a way to neutralize one major player for the opposing teams and I believe (barring cramps...although it is supposed to be hot...but not as hot as last Friday) that the defense can contain Williams and not let him go crazy like he did last year along with Ard.

Also if Mayfield can pressure Barga into throwing some interceptions to set up short fields will help Mayfield. Speaking of short fields...the Cards should have the advantage in field position with McNutt and Williams doing the kicking chores. Could be a game decided by Mcnutt and a couple of field goals.

Which team can come out in their first real test of the season as lets face it...Daviess County and Caldwell County were not strong indications of what both teams are capable off...should find out this Friday.

I will stick with my original score of Mayfield 24-14