Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Your school's Mount Rushmore

Featured Replies

I'm not up on HHS basketball history but I'm curious why they are picked ahead of Neltner? He was Highland's only Mr. Basketball and played D1.

 

Money talks!!!

  • Replies 246
  • Views 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Money talks!!!

 

What does that mean?

Not arguing. Pointing out where he stood .

 

Didn't take it that way. No worries.

Scott HS....

 

Not sure I can get down to an actual four for the mountain but here are some names that stand out and at least get the conversation rolling.

 

Coaches

Brad Carr (most wins in program history)

Carl Wenderoth (Led team to only state tourney appearance)

 

Players

Jake Ohmer (Already programs All Time scoring leader and still adding on)

Kellen Smith (admitted bias! Lol 1300 points, All time Assists & Steals 3 District Tourney MVP's)

Kyle Howard (All time leading rebounder & 10th Region HOF)

Ben Lye

Jesse Jett

Chris Thompson

Chris Haynes

Kelly James (really old school...avg bunch of points programs first two years)

Anthony Matracia

Nate Sharp (one of the best senior years in program history)

 

There are obviously more but hopefully a good start for discussion

Edited by 4pointplay
addition

Big Dave Dixon (6-7, 240 pounds) from the 1981 state champ SK team, or Jeff Krohman might be up there. Billy Meier another name from the 81 state champs.

 

Jeff still holds the record for all time leading scorer for the men, correct?

I think Ralph Beard would be second best right behind Griffith.

 

I forgot about him. I wouldn't put him 2nd, but probably 3rd, knocking Osborne out. Bobby Turner was the #2 rated player in the nation behind Griffith at the time.

This is a good list but it's hard for me not to at least mention Michael Bush. I know football was obviously his better sport but man that dude was a freak on the basketball court.

 

Mike was very good. I wouldn't put him ahead of Larry O'Bannon on this list though. Or Henry Husky or GG Gordon. He's top 10 though for sure. That's saying a bunch at a powerhouse like Male though.

You don't want Winston Bennett on anything that brands your school if this also takes into consideration his post-Louisville Male deeds. Griffith and Turner are no doubters. Osborne, meh.

 

You're absolutely right. Despite his shortcomings as a person, I was speaking strictly on basketball terms. You're right about the branding part though. Osborne was Mr. Basketball and a McDonald's All-American in High School.

You get no argument from me.

 

Think you have to add Angela Jefferson into the discussion on the Bracken Lady Polar Bears. 5 year point guard survived terrible coaching.

Before my time, but I have always heard that Dick Vories was outstanding. Not sure who I would bump (certainly not Turner), but my guess is he would be among the 4 based upon the opinion of those I trust.

 

Dick Vories was an outstanding player at Newport and worthy of being on the top 4. He suffered an injury that cut short his senior year at Newport or I think he is on the list. On the other end of the spectrum, McIntosh actually played his freshman and sophomore years at Campbell County before moving to Newport and playing there for his junior and senior years. McIntosh was by far the dominant big man in the 9th Region his senior year.

 

Other Newport players who might be on the list:

David Schlosser

Eugene Pate

Mitch Mayes

Kenny Bell

Darrel "Bean" Bedford

Tom Laskey

Keith Greene

Tony Commodore

For St.Henry

 

Bucky Steffen

Robbie Padgett

Dave Faust

Matt Fabiani

Anyone from Shelby County? Scott County? Louisville Senaca? Paintsville? Was Owensboro Apollo originally Owensboro HS?

 

All have rich traditions. Would love to hear some lists from those schools.

Anyone from Shelby County? Scott County? Louisville Senaca? Paintsville? Was Owensboro Apollo originally Owensboro HS?

 

All have rich traditions. Would love to hear some lists from those schools.

 

Seneca is not my school but two players immediately come to mind: Westley Unseld and Mike Redd.

 

I would like to see what people think about Louisville Central , Louisville Thomas Jefferson and Ballard (my apologies if they have already been listed.)

Mike was very good. I wouldn't put him ahead of Larry O'Bannon on this list though. Or Henry Husky or GG Gordon. He's top 10 though for sure. That's saying a bunch at a powerhouse like Male though.

Where do Dallas Thornton, George Tinsley and Wesley Cox fit in? Cox is one my of all-time favorite players.

For St.Henry

 

Bucky Steffen

Robbie Padgett

Dave Faust

Matt Fabiani

 

I'm going old school.

 

Jim Nestheide

Jay (what was Jay's last name?) lefty that went to NKU

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.