Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Your school's Mount Rushmore

Featured Replies

Really enjoying the trip down memory lane, wish more NKY folks would throw their picks into the ring.

  • Replies 246
  • Views 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Newport:

1. John Turner (all-stater played at U of L)

2. Steve Fields (all-stater, 9th Region POY)

3. Fred Moeves (all-stater, played at UC)

4. Mitch McIntosh (avg. almost 20 rebs. per game as a senior)

Coach: Stan Arnzen (Blue Foster a close No. 2)

 

Before my time, but I have always heard that Dick Vories was outstanding. Not sure who I would bump (certainly not Turner), but my guess is he would be among the 4 based upon the opinion of those I trust.

This is easier in the basketball forum than the football forum for Highlands.

 

Here's my two cents.

 

If criteria includes coaches:

 

Ken Shields

Scott Draud

Ross Neltner

Derek Smith

 

If players only:

 

Scott Draud

Ross Neltner

Derek Smith

 

Sarakatsannis/McManus/Wendel/Vories/Muntis/Fischer/Schlarman/Blasingame/

Cowie/Simpson/or TBA

Let's add Youngstown State, Akron, Xavier, FINDLAY, NAIA national champion Kentucky State as well. Hard to admit Derkson is just better, isn't it? He's laughing at you.

 

I'm not sure how this turned into you thinking I am bashing Derkson. Never did. Obviously talented. All I did was point out your false belief that Ruthsatz is riding the pine. Simply not true. No one calls 15 MPG sitting the bench.

 

I will ignore the fact that you mentioned SOME D2 schools without mentioning that Findlay is playing all D2 and some D1. I don't think most people would confuse the two schedules.

Edited by Clyde

Latin:

David Justice

Mitchell Blewett

Jeff Stowers

Brian O'Connor

Really enjoying the trip down memory lane, wish more NKY folks would throw their picks into the ring.

 

Same here. I'm hoping to see an entry for Maysville High School. That one wouldn't be complete with Coach Earle Jones.

Latin: David Justice Mitchell Blewett Jeff Stowers Brian O'Connor

 

Really nice list.

Lexington Catholic

Mort Fraley-mid to late 60s, played at UK

 

Danny Haney-Was schools all time leading scorer at one time, played at EKU and coached the Knights to only state championship in 2002

 

Frank Kornet-led team to 1985 sweet sixteen, played at Vanderbilt, and 2 seasons for the Milwaukee Bucks

 

Demetrius Green-MVP of only state championship team

 

Others considered-Shawn Fields, Vee Sanford, David Graves, Davon Davis

Louisville Male:

 

Darrell Griffith

Bobby Turner

Winston Bennett

Jason Osborne

I think Ralph Beard would be second best right behind Griffith.

Louisville Male:

 

Darrell Griffith

Bobby Turner

Winston Bennett

Jason Osborne

 

This is a good list but it's hard for me not to at least mention Michael Bush. I know football was obviously his better sport but man that dude was a freak on the basketball court.

Ballard:

 

Jeff Lamp

Allan Houston

DeJuan Wheat

Chris Renner- coach edging out Richard Schmidt who has had a stellar career at the University of Tampa

 

Fourth spot is tough- Jerry Eaves? Lee Raker? Kelan Martin- on the rise?

I think Ralph Beard would be second best right behind Griffith.

 

Hard for me to believe anyone could be ahead of Ralph Beard on any list...

Chris Walker has a record that may never be broken. 945 rebounds in a career. Not sure if that puts him on the mountain but that's legit.

 

 

I didn't know he held their rebounding record. I can't recall him playing as a freshman but with that many rebounds he must have played a few games.

Early 70s I believe his name was boganshoot been a long time ago

Sorry ment to say Covington Latin

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.