Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Your school's Mount Rushmore

Featured Replies

OMG....memory failing me. Bobby Wyatt was terrific. Didn't he go SEC? Ole Miss?

 

Louisiana Tech

  • Replies 246
  • Views 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we're talking all sports, it's kinda tough to leave off (and I did on my original one) Nate Jones. He is playing well at the highest level of his sport.

 

I was thinking basketball only but if all sports, then Nate would have to be at the top of the list.

Concur, but then I also got to mention Jim and Terry Sandfoss. Both went on to play D1 very successfully.

 

Where did Terry Sandfoss play D1??

Dick Vories was an outstanding player at Newport and worthy of being on the top 4. He suffered an injury that cut short his senior year at Newport or I think he is on the list. On the other end of the spectrum, McIntosh actually played his freshman and sophomore years at Campbell County before moving to Newport and playing there for his junior and senior years. McIntosh was by far the dominant big man in the 9th Region his senior year.

 

Other Newport players who might be on the list:

David Schlosser

Eugene Pate

Mitch Mayes

Kenny Bell

Darrel "Bean" Bedford

Tom Laskey

Keith Greene

Tony Commodore

 

Great list as basketball only.

 

2 - 3 sport athletes that should be on any Newport list.

 

David Simpson (EKU)

Bobby Meyer (UC)

Owensboro High School

 

Cliff Hagan - UK All-American, NBA and ABA, basketball hall of fame

Bobby Watson - UK, NBA

Jerry Thruston - Mr. Basketball, Kansas State

Kenny Higgs - LSU, NBA

Apollo High School

 

Tom Wendt - 6' 10", from Apollo's early days (mid-70's), McNeese State

Jeff Jones - Virginia (with Ralph Sampson), former UVA head coach

Rex Chapman - King Rex. Enough said

Marc Salyers - averaged 17 ppg his senior year at Samford, played pro in Europe for a bunch of years

 

I think those are the four, although it is hard for me to leave off Steve Barker, Apollo's current head coach, who played with Jeff Jones and was one of the best pure shooters I have ever seen. He went on to have a great career at Samford, scoring in double figures 90 times.

Where did Terry Sandfoss play D1??

 

Newcath

Newcath

 

I know they're good, but...

I know they're good, but...

 

Woops......it happens PaPa. It's that old age thing

Woops......it happens PaPa. It's that old age thing

 

I hear you.

 

Out of my good ear, anyway.

Augusta:

Brent Bach

Brian Kirk

Bill Kelsch

Coach Lou Cunningham

 

Girls

Connie Appelman

Rachel Hamilton

Dana Bach

Coach Vaughn Kelsch

Deming

Scotty Graves

Joe Mitchell

King Twins

Coach?

Harrison County

Toke Coleman

Billy Custard

Tony Talbot

Coach Woody Crum

Tollesboro

Chris Harrison

?

?

Coach Al Bane

Deming

Scotty Graves

Joe Mitchell

King Twins

Coach?

 

Would you say Larry Allison as the coach? I am trying to think of who was most successful over there.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.