Hoover stinks

For those of you that thought Hoover would be a serviceable replacement at closer for Chapman, I'm here to say 'told you so'.

Yes, I know. He was the only option to start the season. Now we know we can't beat the Cards, Pirates or Cubs, can we figure out who the 'future' closer is going to be and start grooming him?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you that thought Hoover would be a serviceable replacement at closer for Chapman, I'm here to say 'told you so'.

Yes, I know. He was the only option to start the season. Now we know we can't beat the Cards, Pirates or Cubs, can we figure out who the 'future' closer is going to be and start grooming him?

What is the future closer going to groom on? You want use him down 12 runs a game.

Forget about a closer, Let your starters go 5-6, then put in another starter to finish the game, no matter what he does. Once these guys get off the DL you have nothing but starters anyway. Let them work through bad innings.

Saying Hoover stinks us putting it very lightly. How Price can continue to run him out there is beyond me.

Dont blame Price for throwing him out there, blame ownership for him being on the team. Again, the problems with this team start with the ownership, until that changes, nothing else will.

We discussed this in another thread somewhere. If not Hoover, then who?

If there is a plan for the back of the bullpen, I'd like to hear it. Find that guy some innings and get him ready. Hoover isn't the answer, long term or short term.

For this year, I am completely fine with bullpen by committee. With some of the youth that we have, there's no reason to "save" someone for a save situation...they may be few and far between. Use 'em as you need 'em. Tomorrow is a different day, and you may use different guys.

Dont blame Price for throwing him out there, blame ownership for him being on the team. Again, the problems with this team start with the ownership, until that changes, nothing else will.

I understand that but he has the decision not to put him in and when he took Cingrani out after he got one out in the ninth the other day to put Hoover in was one of the most bone headed moves I have seen.

I call him "Homereun" Hoover. It seems like every time you put him in in a pressure situation, he blows it more often than not by giving up a multi-run homer(i.e. grand slam in the Pittsburgh game earlier this year to lose it again), and it hasn't been just this season that he does stuff like that to lose it or put us behind in the late innings. I say release him.

Lorenzon has to be closer and when we are healthy Jumbo and Hoover have to go, no need for them anymore. I really think they are just bringing the whole team down, no matter the lead no one feels safe, keeps everyone on pins and needles. Second why are we not doing a better job at pitch location and calling pitches, Example had Walker 0-2 last night, he has no power to left field, he is a lefty, and we throw him inside fastball that he plants in bleachers. Hamilton experiment has to be over, feel sorry for him at this point, needs to be in AAA getting better. We make some horrible decisions that leaves us all scratching our heads