Hoover stinks

False. 13 he was decent, 14 he was bad and this year he is absolutely terrible. 12 and 15 were his only "good" years. He's nothing more than a more modern Nick Masset.

In 13' he threw 2 more innings than last year and his Era was lower than 15. He set the Reds record for a right hander when he threw 26.1 innings without allowing an earned run which he then beat last year. He has started absolutely terrible this year but we are just over 10% of the season, long way to go.

Now I don't think he is a great pitcher but his stats says he is good enough to be in the pen. But he has proven he is not a closer.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2012: 30.2 IP, 2.05 ERA, 0.978 WHIP = Good (1)

2013: 66.0 IP, 2.86 ERA, 1.106 WHIP = Good (2)

2014: 62.2 IP, 4.88 ERA, 1.388 WHIP = Bad (1)

2015: 64.1 IP, 2.94 ERA, 1.166 WHIP = Good (3)

3 Good, 1 Bad.

Yes he has been terrible to start this season. Yes he's proven he can't be a closer (5/18 SV/SO from 12-15). But let's not act like he's been bad more than he's been good.

The league average ERA typically is a high 3 or low 4. He's been better than that 3 out of the 4 past full seasons.

The league average WHIP typically is around a 1.3 or 1.4. He's been there in all of the past 4 seasons.

Reds got a lot of my $ when Boone was here too. He got it way worse than Hoover. Boone had to listen to it all game.

Did it make you feel better? I'll bet your a joy to watch a game with.

False.

Masset: 4.06 ERA, 1.457 WHIP, 1.94 K/BB, 20% successful saves

Hoover: 3.76 ERA, 1.232 WHIP, 2.16 K/BB, 30% successful saves (including this year)

Masset has 8 years and Hoover has 5. They are eerily similar. The love Hoover gets is almost unreal.

Masset has 8 years and Hoover has 5. They are eerily similar. The love Hoover gets is almost unreal.

Fine, I'll play your game. I'll look at the first 4 years both players had in the MLB.

Masset: 3.79 ERA, 1.38 WHIP, 2.01 K/BB (excluded 2006 since it was only 8 games. His numbers would be worse if included.)

Hoover: 3.34 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, 2.23 K/BB

Wanna try again?

Hoover isn't getting "love". It's just being pointed out that he hasn't been terrible like some (you included) want everyone to believe.

Fine, I'll play your game. I'll look at the first 4 years both players had in the MLB.

Masset: 3.79 ERA, 1.38 WHIP, 2.01 K/BB (excluded 2006 since it was only 8 games. His numbers would be worse if included.)

Hoover: 3.34 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, 2.23 K/BB

Wanna try again?

Hoover isn't getting "love". It's just being pointed out that he hasn't been terrible like some (you included) want everyone to believe.

You're right. He's an All-Star. How could I have ever said he's terrible. His WHIP says otherwise. :isurrender:

I didn't say he's an All-Star. But where in those numbers say he's terrible? Those numbers are average to above-average and they include a dreadful 2014.

It's the simple fact that people can't have opinions because the stats say otherwise. I don't care what his numbers are, in my opinion he's not any good. He's showing this year he is not an average pitcher. He's been fortunate in the past that he didn't have to pitch the pressure situations hence helping his numbers (blowouts one way or the other). Either way, you can have your feelings about him and I'll have mine.

It's the simple fact that people can't have opinions because the stats say otherwise. I don't care what his numbers are, in my opinion he's not any good. He's showing this year he is not an average pitcher. He's been fortunate in the past that he didn't have to pitch the pressure situations hence helping his numbers (blowouts one way or the other). Either way, you can have your feelings about him and I'll have mine.

You're entitled to your own opinion. You're not entitled to your own facts.

Is he a terrible closer? Stats and your own 2 eyes suggest yes.

Is he a terrible pitcher? Stats say no and your eyes suggest different. I'll go with the stats.

Was he pitching meaningless innings last year? Hardly. He was basically the setup man for Chapman. Plenty of pressure in the 7th & 8th to get to Chappy.