Hoover stinks

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he would be fine in other roles also. Just not closer, 2013 he was great in the pen with a 2.86 ERA, then the wheels fell off in 2014, had a great 2015, and now a terrible 2016, send him to the minors, and bring him back up in 2017 and just let him pitch the odd years!

Hoover has been stinking this year. He was outstanding last year. He outperformed Chapman for most of the year. He ran out of gas in September but going into September, for the year, Hoover had an ERA of 1.74 and WHIP of 1.04. From April 24 to June 27, he also went 30 consecutive games and 28.2 innings without allowing an earned run. In 2013, he went 23 games and 26.1 innings without allowing a run during another streak. He has also pitched for more than 60 innings in each of the last 3 years. He had a terrible 2014 and has started off terrible this year but he has been a very good reliever for the Reds. He is not a closer though.

So.....when a guy has a good year, followed by a really bad year, how do we characterize him? I think he's awful. I'm planning on going to games and sit near the bullpen just to yell at him.

We have you on record as saying he's awful. Noted.

So.....when a guy has a good year' date=' followed by a really bad year, how do we characterize him? I think he's awful. I'm planning on going to games and sit near the bullpen just to yell at him.[/quote']

Make sure you take a date. That will certainly impress her.

Then you have been wrong for 2+ years. He's had good years. He's not a closer and that's obvious. He can be useful in other roles as he's proven in the past.

Thought it was you and UK. Hoover is terrible, the only so called good years he had were 12 and 13 when he came up, before batters could get a look at him.

Edited by John Anthony

Agree with HT & UKMF. This team does not have a closer, does not need a closer and does not need to groom a closer at this time. Closers are a luxury for contending teams.

The Reds need to put as many arms on the bump this year as are ready to pitch to see what they can do. Don't make stupid decisions like starting Stephenson's clock a year too early OR rushing a guy that still needs the luxury of refining things at AAA. Fill in the innings you can't fill with legit prospects with reclamation projects and cheap arms. If you catch lightning in a bottle, maybe you get a bucket of balls at the trading deadline. If not, you eat up some innings and hopefully those guys are good clubhouse guys for the younger arms. Agree with the earlier suggestion that 2 starters can pitch in the same game if it's my team. The likelihood of any of these young guys going out and pitching 7 or 8 innings with a low pitch count is pretty remote. Tell A he's "1st starting" and plan to make 70-90 pitches. Tell B he's "2nd starting" and plan to make 60-80 pitches. Get B up in the 2nd or 3rd inning and have him go through the same routine he would if he was "1st starting." Of course, this is only necessary if you have >5 healthy starters -- not currently a problem for this squad.

I don't agree with those that claim "closers are overrated and grow on trees." I think the Nasty Boys and the 2015 KC Royals show that a shutdown back end of a bullpen can be intimidating. It forces teams to press in the 1st 6 innings to get a lead b/c they know it's an uphill battle if they are tied or behind in the 7th.