Officials and concussions

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll agree to disagree.

Local doctor is there on Friday. What about Monday-Thursday? I would guess that more injuries happen in practices then games. And yes I firmly believe that if a school can't afford an athletic trainer they shouldn't field a football team.

What about other sports?? Say soccer, which has a high concussion rate. Or baseball/softball where a hard projectile, travels at very fast speeds towards players. Or even Cheer, which can be a dangerous sport. Almost all sports have some form of contact (except maybe golf and swimming) and all sports have a chance of injury.

Don't get me wrong, I think a trainer is very valuable, and if you can have one, you should. But for some of the smaller, more isolated schools, I would think it could be next to impossible to have a trainer on campus at all times, for all sports.

What about other sports?? Say soccer, which has a high concussion rate. Or baseball/softball where a hard projectile, travels at very fast speeds towards players. Or even Cheer, which can be a dangerous sport. Almost all sports have some form of contact (except maybe golf and swimming) and all sports have a chance of injury.

Don't get me wrong, I think a trainer is very valuable, and if you can have one, you should. But for some of the smaller, more isolated schools, I would think it could be next to impossible to have a trainer on campus at all times, for all sports.

You're correct and the only reason I didn't bring other sports up is because this is a football forum.

If a school fields contact sports they should have an athletic trainer. I see an athletic trainer as a necessity. Why as a coach would you want to take on the additional liability of dealing with injuries?

You're correct and the only reason I didn't bring other sports up is because this is a football forum.

If a school fields contact sports they should have an athletic trainer. I see an athletic trainer as a necessity. Why as a coach would you want to take on the additional liability of dealing with injuries?

I agree that trainers are necessary. I'm just not sure how smaller schools that are in some of the more isolated areas of the state would be able to have access to a trainer on campus every day of the school year for all practices and games.

So, shut down the program unless they can field a trainer?

No one is saying that safety and health are an after thought. But, I would just dare say that a majority of the small schools in the state are just barely scraping by with their athletics money. I'm not talking Mayfield, but the Caverna, Fulton City and County, Phelps, Berea, Dayton, Fort Knox and others would fully be able to independently fund a trainer, full time with competitive pay? Is that what we are saying? I'd say just about every community has a local doctor who would enjoy a team polo and pullover, maybe a jacket, and get to stand on the sidelines every Friday in exchange for his services.

Again, no one is saying that the health and well being of the players shouldn't be important, but if it came down to having a program without a trainer or not having a program, most people would opt to field a team.

Dayton high school has an athletic trainer who covers all of their sports. What schools must realize is especially with football, you have a kid who has a neck injury and you do not have a qualified medical professional there to stabilize the athlete's neck and has further issues, you will be poor paying for the lawsuit. I think it is neglect to think it is ok to field a football team without having an athletic trainer there. There are companies who provide an athletic trainer during football season than only have them co ER games during the winter & spring. It is possible to make it work

Let's remove the officials out of the Medical field in all sports. Some are not qualified to be officials, let alone diagnose medical conditions. When you give officials the right to play Doctor, you are setting yourself up for a lawsuit. Believe me, I have 1st hand knowledge of that! My son was a victim of their ignorance of the Medical field and got kicked out of the Regional Tournament for wrestling. He was the #1 Ranked kid in the State, and an official overruled a Medical KHSAA Skin Release Form(That was signed by a Doctor) and they overruled an On-Site Medical Trainer. Let's remove them from the Medical Decisions, it can cause much pain.

Question, doesn't the host school/organization have to have a trainer, emt or some sort of medical professional on site for sporting events? I know insurance companies require it for schools and in NKY, most schools partner with St. Elizabeth and Commonwealth Orthopedic to supply a trainer at school

Let's remove the officials out of the Medical field in all sports. Some are not qualified to be officials, let alone diagnose medical conditions. When you give officials the right to play Doctor, you are setting yourself up for a lawsuit. Believe me, I have 1st hand knowledge of that! My son was a victim of their ignorance of the Medical field and got kicked out of the Regional Tournament for wrestling. He was the #1 Ranked kid in the State, and an official overruled a Medical KHSAA Skin Release Form(That was signed by a Doctor) and they overruled an On-Site Medical Trainer. Let's remove them from the Medical Decisions, it can cause much pain.

Most officials have minimal to NO experience in this area. Been 40 years for me to be on the field, but if I am going to be asked, he is automatically sitting 100% of the time. Why would any official expose himself? In an area he has no expertise! Crazy legislative intervention where they have no business.

Looks like public and teacher pension problems will not be addressed again In Frankfort. Time is running out and involvement in things like high school football issues are more important for them to intrusively spend their time addressing.

I believe that HB217 didn't make the game official responsible, it allowed the game official to remove a player from the field if they had already been removed from the game and the official believed they had been put back in without being evaluated.

It looks like House Floor Amendment No. 2 (HFA2) amended HB217 to take this provision back out and clarify that a coach is prohibited from putting a player suspected of having a concussion back in a game without being evaluated (e.g., by ATC or doc). No real change in current law that's been in place for the past several years now regarding concussions. No new responsibilities or authority for game officials. Looks like HB217 as amended by HFA2 is being passed by House and Senate and will become a fairly minor amendment to the existing law.

Question, doesn't the host school/organization have to have a trainer, emt or some sort of medical professional on site for sporting events? I know insurance companies require it for schools and in NKY, most schools partner with St. Elizabeth and Commonwealth Orthopedic to supply a trainer at school

No they don't