Officials and concussions

KY legislature to vote on a rule change for HS sports that would make the game officials responsible for determining if an athlete has received a concussion and should be allowed to return to the game.

I trust a good coaching staff/AD/trainer to make that decision that is best for the long term health of the student much more so than an official. I know our view of officials isn't very high on BGP but this seems crazy.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how I feel about this. How much would we really, TRULY trust some coaches when it comes down to winning and losing?

If it's the state championship, and your starting QB just goes down and your backup is a less-than-stellar freshman, what decision do you make? I mean, injuries can make or break a coaches job, so I wouldn't completely trust them to make an objective decision.

It's nice to think that a coach would make the decision that is best for the kid, and I'd say most of them will. But, I don't trust every coach to make that decision.

I wouldn't trust officials in the same way.

The KHSAA should make it mandatory to have an athletic trainer available at all practices/games of every contact sport. I know, it's expensive. Make the home team responsible for games and one on campus for every day that a practice is being held.

The KHSAA should make it mandatory to have an athletic trainer available at all practices/games of every contact sport. I know, it's expensive. Make the home team responsible for games and one on campus for every day that a practice is being held.

Aren't there EMT's at every game? I can't recall seeing a game in the last 5 or 6 years without one. Why not make them the person in charge of that diagnosis? Aren't they qualified for it?

KY legislature to vote on a rule change for HS sports that would make the game officials responsible for determining if an athlete has received a concussion and should be allowed to return to the game.

I trust a good coaching staff/AD/trainer to make that decision that is best for the long term health of the student much more so than an official. I know our view of officials isn't very high on BGP but this seems crazy.

Dumbest Idea Ever....

That is absolutely insane. Officials are in no position to be able to assess a concussed player. There are many variables in the decision to remove a player over concerns for concussion. Most tests that are used to assess players on the sideline are limited in their effectiveness. Which test is the best? AVU, Glasgow Coma, King-devick, etc.

I have had officials pull kids out before and say they are not returning even after a kid passes all tests from the athletic trainer. Realistically, having an athletic trainer is not all that expensive if you think of the amount of money they can save a school system for premium costs for their insurance most school systems have for their athletes. Most athletic trainers can get kids into the doctors they work for within 24 hours, this saves on ER visits. Also, those minor injuries where parents would normally take their kids to the doctors can be treated by the athletic trainers.

I understand where the state is going with this but 1st they need to mandate all schools who have football need to have a FT athletic trainer at all practices & games.

I think the legislation actually creates a concussion protocol similar to what the NFL & NCAA have... The officials are an extra layer on top of that, more as a safeguard in addition to the protocol.

Not to be argumentative, but the legislation does not create a concussion protocol similar to the NFL and NCAA. It is merely feel good legislation that will have no positive effects, and could have some unforeseen repercussions. In the sponsors own words it`s intention is to merely add a layer of protection to the existing program. It will in effect add a layer a legislated responsibility to referees. KY lawmakers need to leave this to the medical professionals. Educational bureaucrats and legislative bureaucrats do not have the education or training to tackle this issue.

Does anyone have a link to the specifics of the legislation? What official in their right mind would sign off on a player returning? Actually, many probably would, but there would be no way in hell I would want that responsibility.

My concern is we now have officials over ruling trainers and doctors that a team may have on the side line.

Also I want to know if official allows a kid to play and then something happens to the kid - Now the officials can be held liable.

This is a bad move. This puts officials in a bad place unless each crew will have an assigned athletic trainer to travel with them - free of charge to the schools