Officials and concussions

Not to be argumentative, but the legislation does not create a concussion protocol similar to the NFL and NCAA. It is merely feel good legislation that will have no positive effects, and could have some unforeseen repercussions. In the sponsors own words it`s intention is to merely add a layer of protection to the existing program. It will in effect add a layer a legislated responsibility to referees. KY lawmakers need to leave this to the medical professionals. Educational bureaucrats and legislative bureaucrats do not have the education or training to tackle this issue.

Not to be argumentative, but I have actually read the legislation being proposed.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the legislation actually creates a concussion protocol similar to what the NFL & NCAA have... The officials are an extra layer on top of that, more as a safeguard in addition to the protocol.

No. The NCAA has no overall protocol, it's left up to individual schools and conferences.

State law in KY already says that if a concussion is suspected the player MUST be removed from practice or competition unless a licensed medical professional (physician, physician assistant, athletic trainer) evaluates the athlete and determines that no concussion has occurred. In that case the athlete can return. It does NOTHING to address what happens during a practice especially at the schools that are still stupid enough to field contact sports teams without an athletic trainer available every day, not just game nights.

This proposal is feel good tripe that really does nothing other then give legislators something to pat themselves on the back for.

Not to be argumentative, but I have actually read the legislation being proposed.

Not to be argumentative, I too have read it and this legislation is stupid. If the legislature was really serious about this they would figure out ways to get qualified medical personnel at every high school.

This is going to sound like I'm hammering on officials and it's not intended, but there are good officials and some not so good. And now we want them to also play doc as well? What these folks need to be doing is focus on being better football officials. JMO.

Would they be more qualified than an official?

Maybe, maybe not. But that's the whole problem. We accept the premise that any medical coverage is better then no coverage. I wouldn't want an OB/GYN to repair a torn ACL, but both are doctors. There are vastly different skill sets involved in different medical fields. An EMT is not specifically trained to recognize concussion. The answer to this whole issue is there. Athletic Trainers at all high schools. It's time for our legislature to stop with all the no cost feel good so I can say I did something legislation and actually correct the situation. There is no way I would let a son of mine play football at a school that didn't have a full time athletic trainer.

Maybe, maybe not. But that's the whole problem. We accept the premise that any medical coverage is better then no coverage. I wouldn't want an OB/GYN to repair a torn ACL, but both are doctors. There are vastly different skill sets involved in different medical fields. An EMT is not specifically trained to recognize concussion. The answer to this whole issue is there. Athletic Trainers at all high schools. It's time for our legislature to stop with all the no cost feel good so I can say I did something legislation and actually correct the situation. There is no way I would let a son of mine play football at a school that didn't have a full time athletic trainer.

I can't think of many schools around me who have a full time trainer.

I can't think of many schools around me who have a full time trainer.

And that's a crime as far as I'm concerned. A negligence suit waiting to happen. Would a school field a football team with a coach who's only experience was playing soccer?

And that's a crime as far as I'm concerned. A negligence suit waiting to happen. Would a school field a football team with a coach who's only experience was playing soccer?

That's not even close to the same thing. They don't have them not because they don't want them, but because they can't afford them. Look at the bottom 10 or so schools in size, do you honestly think they could afford to pay someone to be a trainer?

That's not even close to the same thing. They don't have them not because they don't want them, but because they can't afford them. Look at the bottom 10 or so schools in size, do you honestly think they could afford to pay someone to be a trainer?

Then maybe that can't afford to play football. Is player safety and health a luxury? I stand by my statement, they wouldn't attempt to field a team without a qualified coach. Why is player health and safety an afterthought?

Then maybe that can't afford to play football. Is player safety and health a luxury? I stand by my statement, they wouldn't attempt to field a team without a qualified coach. Why is player health and safety an afterthought?

So, shut down the program unless they can field a trainer?

No one is saying that safety and health are an after thought. But, I would just dare say that a majority of the small schools in the state are just barely scraping by with their athletics money. I'm not talking Mayfield, but the Caverna, Fulton City and County, Phelps, Berea, Dayton, Fort Knox and others would fully be able to independently fund a trainer, full time with competitive pay? Is that what we are saying? I'd say just about every community has a local doctor who would enjoy a team polo and pullover, maybe a jacket, and get to stand on the sidelines every Friday in exchange for his services.

Again, no one is saying that the health and well being of the players shouldn't be important, but if it came down to having a program without a trainer or not having a program, most people would opt to field a team.

So, shut down the program unless they can field a trainer?

No one is saying that safety and health are an after thought. But, I would just dare say that a majority of the small schools in the state are just barely scraping by with their athletics money. I'm not talking Mayfield, but the Caverna, Fulton City and County, Phelps, Berea, Dayton, Fort Knox and others would fully be able to independently fund a trainer, full time with competitive pay? Is that what we are saying? I'd say just about every community has a local doctor who would enjoy a team polo and pullover, maybe a jacket, and get to stand on the sidelines every Friday in exchange for his services.

Again, no one is saying that the health and well being of the players shouldn't be important, but if it came down to having a program without a trainer or not having a program, most people would opt to field a team.

We'll agree to disagree.

Local doctor is there on Friday. What about Monday-Thursday? I would guess that more injuries happen in practices then games. And yes I firmly believe that if a school can't afford an athletic trainer they shouldn't field a football team.