Vicis ZERO1 Football Helmet

What is crazy is that many NFL players still wear outdated helmets, helmets that aren't sold to the public anymore and that JCPS retired last year even if they weren't 10 years old. Tom Brady wears a Riddell VSR-4 helmet, that model came out in 1994 and Riddell stopped selling to the public in 2010. Yet one of the top players in the NFL still wears it, presumably by his choice.

Last season JCPS had all the schools turn in an inventory of certain models of helmets that were rated 1 or 2 stars. We had to stop using and basically throw away helmets that weren't yet 10 years old, luckily Norton Healthcare provided a grant that bought replacement helmets for most of those. At Fern Creek we lost 36 helmets some only had 1 year left, many had 5 years left. Thru the grant we were able to purchase 20 - 5 star helmets to replace them. that still left us short and we had to end up ordering more get all the kids in helmets.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A company Guardian makes these padded helmet covers. They set up at all the coaches clinics but all the helmet manufacturers say not to use them and the "experts" laugh it off as the equivalent of putting an airbag outside your car.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54379[/ATTACH]

If it's absorbing/deflecting/dispersing even some of the energy from a hit, then it's doing something positive. It's just that much more energy that isn't absorbed by the head/brain. Now, if this product is doing that or not, I don't know.

Yeah, we have about 15 Xenith X2's. Very nice, a 5 star helmet for just under $200 and no extra parts needed. The chinstrap and even ear pads are all part of the bonnet and replaced if needed when reconditioned. you don't even have to inflate just tighten the chinstrap. Most kids like them we have a few that didn't, some head shapes felt tight around the temples.

A company Guardian makes these padded helmet covers. They set up at all the coaches clinics but all the helmet manufacturers say not to use them and the "experts" laugh it off as the equivalent of putting an airbag outside your car.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54379[/ATTACH]

The problem with products like this is the helmet manufacturers say if you use them it voids any warranty you have from the company.

I like the Xenith helmets also.

My 13 year old has been wearing a Xenith for 3 years now. He loves it. First time he ever hit with it on he said, "I can't even feel the hits to the head." I'm a big fan. My 10 year old wore one for the first time last season.

I found out my kids were teling each other "you can use your head and it doesn't hurt." Obviously when I heard that I addressed it and we began to watch for that.

• 2 years later...

Agree. I'm sure a discount applies for multiple helmets but I went on the website and build a helmet just to see the price and that's what it was back this spring...$1500. i think they will see individual helmet orders from parents perhaps but likely not many at that price.