Vicis ZERO1 Football Helmet

Great idea, however, very few High Schools can afford to pay $30,000 to $50,000 for helmets alone. For many schools that would probably more than double their entire football budget for the season. Again, great idea..... just too costly.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea, however, very few High Schools can afford to pay $30,000 to $50,000 for helmets alone. For many schools that would probably more than double their entire football budget for the season. Again, great idea..... just too costly.

Not saying I disagree with you - at all - but they do offer a financing on an individual level, and on a team-wide level.

Financing football gear is never a good idea when you take into consideration how quickly it devalues. Also, apparently many colleges no longer use this helmet because of concerns regarding how they fit, and comfort issues. Oregon {college} was one of the schools initially given these helmets to use, and it wasn't long until they ceased to use them. Again, same concerns with how they fit, and issue(s) with comfort.

I believe that one of the engineers of the Vicis has a St. X (Cincinnati) tie as I heard their entire team will be fitted with this model for the coming season. Last season St. X prototyped the neck collar used by Luke Kuechly (St. X grad) of the Carolina Panthers. The study was underwritten by Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

As for cost, we see similar issues in the pharmaceutical industry. A lot of money goes into R&D and the equity investors demand some kind of return for the investment. While $1,500 a pop is too much, hopefully as more schools adopt the helmet the price will fall. I have said for years the hard plastic shell is the biggest "issue." This is a design and engineering problem. There is an answer out there somewhere to make the helmet safer and more concussion resistant (no helmet will ever be concussion proof) and I pray we find the answer sooner rather than later.

My question exactly. The ProCap was supposed to have absorbed all of the energy from the blow into the player's head rather than allowing some of it to be deflected away.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54378[/ATTACH]

This is Steve Wallace who has either 2 or 3 Superbowl rings. He told me that the shell gave him like an extra 6 years or so added on to his career and has no idea why they are not used anymore other than they look funny. His son finished his career a year ago at Lindsey Wilson College in Columbia playing there 4 years and was a Capt. his Sr. year. Outstanding young man also.