Big Beer Companies Trying to Push Out Craft Beer

MJAlltheWay24

I highly recommend the documentary "Beer Wars" to anyone interested in the history of how the big guys have been manipulating distribution for years. This is nothing new, just a new approach to a long-standing problem with outdated (and yes, corrupt) distribution laws in this country. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't understand how anti-trust issues aren't at play here.

Anyway..... check out the documentary. It's quite fascinating.

Is that on Netflix by chance?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly recommend the documentary "Beer Wars" to anyone interested in the history of how the big guys have been manipulating distribution for years. This is nothing new, just a new approach to a long-standing problem with outdated (and yes, corrupt) distribution laws in this country. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't understand how anti-trust issues aren't at play here.

Anyway..... check out the documentary. It's quite fascinating.

These laws are a mess but the old Bootlegger-and-Baptist problem is rearing it's ugly head on any reform of those laws.

The Kentucky Guild of Brewers, an association of most of the independent brewers from around the commonwealth, has been trying for some time now to get movement from Frankfort, to very little avail, though they were instrumental in the decision earlier this year to change the laws on distributor ownership.

Seems like I remember seeing something about some legal disputes due to AB/InBev trying to acquire ownership in some distributors. If I recall the rulings were not in there favor so this must be their new tactic to monopolize shelf space.

I drink a lot of craft beer, but I'm not going to lie, sometimes I just really want to drink a 12 pack of Bud Light. I am in favor however, of consumers having a choice and would hate to see big beer block smaller breweries from having shelf space.

Craft beer is grossly over rated. IMO, of course.
And overpriced. A lot of them will not survive given the number of new beers hitting the market. Every Tom, Dick and Harry seems to be brewing suds. Many of them self-proclaim to be "artisan" brewers. "Artisan" is a word that is vastly overused ....in many areas. Artisan = license to overcharge.

And overpriced. A lot of them will not survive given the number of new beers hitting the market. Every Tom, Dick and Harry seems to be brewing suds. Many of them self-proclaim to be "artisan" brewers. "Artisan" is a word that is vastly overused ....in many areas. Artisan = license to overcharge.

I think there will be a popping of the "craft beer bubble." But, it's going strong right now.

I think there will be a popping of the "craft beer bubble." But, it's going strong right now.

We've got so many different ones at the bar I work at that I can't keep up with them all. Some of them we'll get a 6-pack or a 12-pack in and never see it again. I keep telling them we need to do our beers on a chalkboard instead of wasting money on printed menus that will be out-of-date by the time they get back from the printer. The current menus list a beer on draft that we've not had since before I started working there in the spring, and it's changed three times since I started. Those menus came out mid-summer.

I'm not going to lie I enjoy a Coors Light draft. I'm not a beer snob , I am a bourbon snob. But I do enjoy a lot of craft beers.

My twork favorite are Sacred Cow from Arbor Brewery in Ann Arbor Michigan and CitraMax from Market Garden Brewery in Cleveland.

I honestly enjoy purchasing my craft beers in growlers directly from the brewery. So it would affect me some on a few beers I like. But for the most part I enjoy just paying my money directly to the brew pub.

While, I'd love to pay less for beer, I disagree that its overpriced in comparison to domestic. Let's look at Bud Light vs. Rhinegeist Truth.

If a 6 pack of Bud Light is $6.99 (I couldn't remember if it was $5.99 or $6.99 cause I never buy it, so I went with $6.99 to make my example sound better haha!) then I don't think a 6 pack of Rhinegeist Truth for $9.99 is overpriced. Would I like to pay less? Absolutely.

Bud Light ABV = 4.2

Rhinegeist Truth ABV = 7.2

Bud Light price per bottle = $1.17

Truth price per bottle = $1.67

So you're only paying 50 more cents a beer for 58% more alcohol and 100% better flavor.

We've got so many different ones at the bar I work at that I can't keep up with them all. Some of them we'll get a 6-pack or a 12-pack in and never see it again. I keep telling them we need to do our beers on a chalkboard instead of wasting money on printed menus that will be out-of-date by the time they get back from the printer. The current menus list a beer on draft that we've not had since before I started working there in the spring, and it's changed three times since I started. Those menus came out mid-summer.

They should definitely listen to you.

There is a bar in Hebron that does a great job with letting you know all the different beers they have on tap. Place is called Hebron Brew Haus. All the beers on tap are on a TV screen and it will even let you know how much is left in the keg. I think it's something called Digital Pour. I've only been there once or twice but my buddies who live out that way love the place.