Big Beer Companies Trying to Push Out Craft Beer

MJAlltheWay24

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was talking to my boss at lunch about this and said that we need to start a Craft Only distribution. Sure we won't compete with the big dogs but could still make some decent money doing it. I'm sure it won't be long til their are some. Just will take time.

The issues are many, and it would be a long time before you were making a decent amount doing it. You'll need reefer trucks if you're distributing it cold, but even if everything is at room temperature, you'll need solidly built box trucks. You'll also need a mechanic on your staff to manage the garage and the maintenance of it / them. You'll need a huge warehouse, partially cold, partially dry storage. You'll need forks and palette jacks. You'll need sellers unless you're going to only handle inbound calls from bars. You'll have to have drivers, warehouse workers, admin staff, etc. The costs are significant, and the mark up legally allowed on beer distributors isn't nearly what you likely think it is.

The crafts that will do well, contrary to an earlier post, are the ones that have climbed into bed with AB / InBev and Miller Cooors / "soon to be InBev" distributors to move their product because they'll be part of their "incentive packages". The local craft guy who just delivers his stuff in the back of a truck straight to the bar is going to have a really hard time assuring his establishments that they'll move enough products to offset the potential loss of incentive money.

I don't begrudge InBev one iota for trying to use every ounce of leverage that they have, and I don't begrudge loyal craft drinkers for thumbing their nose at them.

Golden Rule...he with the gold, makes the rules.

I'm past the point in my life where I want to drink 12 bud lights. I'd rather have 2-3 craft beers and call it a night. #imold

And there was even a time in my life (read: college) where that beer of choice wasn't Bud Light because 12 Bud Lights cost so much more than the stuff I was buying. :lol2:

The issues are many, and it would be a long time before you were making a decent amount doing it. You'll need reefer trucks if you're distributing it cold, but even if everything is at room temperature, you'll need solidly built box trucks. You'll also need a mechanic on your staff to manage the garage and the maintenance of it / them. You'll need a huge warehouse, partially cold, partially dry storage. You'll need forks and palette jacks. You'll need sellers unless you're going to only handle inbound calls from bars. You'll have to have drivers, warehouse workers, admin staff, etc. The costs are significant, and the mark up legally allowed on beer distributors isn't nearly what you likely think it is.

The crafts that will do well, contrary to an earlier post, are the ones that have climbed into bed with AB / InBev and Miller Cooors / "soon to be InBev" distributors to move their product because they'll be part of their "incentive packages". The local craft guy who just delivers his stuff in the back of a truck straight to the bar is going to have a really hard time assuring his establishments that they'll move enough products to offset the potential loss of incentive money.

I don't begrudge InBev one iota for trying to use every ounce of leverage that they have, and I don't begrudge loyal craft drinkers for thumbing their nose at them.

Golden Rule...he with the gold, makes the rules.

You just ruined my dreams lol.

And there was even a time in my life (read: college) where that beer of choice wasn't Bud Light because 12 Bud Lights cost so much more than the stuff I was buying. :lol2:

I think about that from time to time. If I want to go cheap, it's Miller Lite, not Nati Light or Keystone anymore.

I buy a lot of beer.

If this list is accurate, I can't remember the last time I bought a beer from AB InBev (I suspect it might not be accurate, though).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AB_InBev_brands

I've gotten more from MillerCoors. Usually will get Coors Light at a sports bar if I'm going to be there a while. You can usually get Yuengling for the same price, though. I buy Leinenkugel every now and then.

MillerCoors: Age Verification

I buy a lot of beer.

If this list is accurate, I can't remember the last time I bought a beer from AB InBev (I suspect it might not be accurate, though).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AB_InBev_brands

I've gotten more from MillerCoors. Usually will get Coors Light at a sports bar if I'm going to be there a while. You can usually get Yuengling for the same price, though. I buy Leinenkugel every now and then.

MillerCoors: Age Verification

Interesting how tall boys (16 oz) cans have become more prevalent these days & often discounted to same price as 12 oz. cans. There's your added Alcohol content.

Is it though? I'm trying to make a past member proud with all my math today:

12 ounces of Truth at 7.2% = .864 ounces of alcohol

16 ounces of Bud Light at 4.2% = .672 ounces of alcohol

Is it though? I'm trying to make a past member proud with all my math today:

12 ounces of Truth at 7.2% = .864 ounces of alcohol

16 ounces of Bud Light at 4.2% = .672 ounces of alcohol

Typical American consumer not able to do that math, especially after that initial few ounces. haha