Ashland Football

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goliath:

That was a great game – but a heart breaker! I’ll never forget it.

Thanks for the memories.

I was also at that game. Incredible football game. Great atmosphere. The kind that make young yaks want to play on the gridiron. You never know someday a little yak may be the difference in a 1 point game. I sure hope so.

I was also at that game. Incredible football game. Great atmosphere. The kind that make young yaks want to play on the gridiron. You never know someday a little yak may be the difference in a 1 point game. I sure hope so.

Yak: On a side note, my young beards (sons) met two Ironton football players this summer at the beach while we were on vacation. What a small world. Anyway, they all had a good time comparing game notes and reminiscing about the 2005 game. By this time it didn’t seem to matter which team won or lost the game. High school athletes get a lot more out of sports than just records.

Don’t get me wrong, we beards like to win as much as the next Yak. But we adults shouldn’t forget about all of the other good “stuff” they get out of football.

Yak: On a side note, my young beards (sons) met two Ironton football players this summer at the beach while we were on vacation. What a small world. Anyway, they all had a good time comparing game notes and reminiscing about the 2005 game. By this time it didn’t seem to matter which team won or lost the game. High school athletes get a lot more out of sports than just records.

Don’t get me wrong, we beards like to win as much as the next Yak. But we adults shouldn’t forget about all of the other good “stuff” they get out of football.

I totally agree. Memories and friendships that last a life time. I think that players also learn respect for the other guys and earn respect as well. We Yaks believe that when between the white lines give all and when we are outside the white lines leave it back there.

I totally agree. Memories and friendships that last a life time. I think that players also learn respect for the other guys and earn respect as well. We Yaks believe that when between the white lines give all and when we are outside the white lines leave it back there.

You’ve got the heart of it in this post. The East/West Senior Bowl that was played in June provides an example of how true your statements are. Players from all around our area worked together, showing respect for each other (that had been earned on the playing field). A lot of new friendships were made. It was really a worthwhile event that I hope this year’s seniors get to participate in.

The Tomcats were to begin 2-a-days in full pads today. I don’t know if the weather changed their plans.

They go to “Camp Tomcat” Sunday evening. We should be able to get our first look at them next week during evening practices.

It’s show time.

Hey cville, looking at your location, I was wondering, have you heard one yet? For me, spring mornings are the greatest on Earth. I could lean against the same old oak every morning at dawn and never get tired of it. I think the good Lord knew what he was doing when he separated turkey season and football season. I couldn't stand that much excitement all at once.

The Tomcats got settled in for “Camp Tomcat” yesterday evening. This should be a very hot week for football camp. I believe that they will have their heaviest practices early in the morning and late in the evening – with a light practice in the afternoon.

There was a lot of excitement in the air. Evening practices usually draws a big crowd of mostly parents and die-hard fans – something of a social event.

The Tomcats got settled in for “Camp Tomcat” yesterday evening. This should be a very hot week for football camp. I believe that they will have their heaviest practices early in the morning and late in the evening – with a light practice in the afternoon.

There was a lot of excitement in the air. Evening practices usually draws a big crowd of mostly parents and die-hard fans – something of a social event.

Hey Graybeard, what do you know about the Camp Tomcat practice yesterday evening? How do things seem to be going?

It was the first day, so it’s still a too early to tell much – but I think they’re going to be OK. It sure was hot! The freshmen are joining the team for the evening practice only – they do not spend the night.

Our linemen are looking good and we have a lot of seniors. I think our line will be tougher - this will be the key for us this year.

At QB Mahan (Jr.) and McDavid (Sr.) are still sharing time. The coaches were also working with two sophomores, (Hush and Brice) as well as two freshmen (don’t know the names yet).

Joe Wright, the new freshman from Holmes (I think) looks good. He has never played organized football before, but he seems to have good instincts, moves well to the ball, has good hands and is tall. I never saw him miss.

The first scrimmage is Saturday, at noon, in Putnam.

Hey cville, looking at your location, I was wondering, have you heard one yet? For me, spring mornings are the greatest on Earth. I could lean against the same old oak every morning at dawn and never get tired of it. I think the good Lord knew what he was doing when he separated turkey season and football season. I couldn't stand that much excitement all at once.

I heard plenty during the Spring season but went home empty handed. Like you said though, being out there is what it is all about. I think the good Lord is a fan of both :thumb: I cherish every moment when I am out enjoying what our Creator has made for us. This high schol football season will be a little different for our family as our son has now graduated, but I will still be at games on Friday. I will just be looking at them a little different.

It was the first day, so it’s still a too early to tell much – but I think they’re going to be OK. It sure was hot! The freshmen are joining the team for the evening practice only – they do not spend the night.

Our linemen are looking good and we have a lot of seniors. I think our line will be tougher - this will be the key for us this year.

At QB Mahan (Jr.) and McDavid (Sr.) are still sharing time. The coaches were also working with two sophomores, (Hush and Brice) as well as two freshmen (don’t know the names yet).

Joe Wright, the new freshman from Holmes (I think) looks good. He has never played organized football before, but he seems to have good instincts, moves well to the ball, has good hands and is tall. I never saw him miss.

The first scrimmage is Saturday, at noon, in Putnam.

May have to get over and watch that one. I saw there were two scheduled in todays paper.

General observations from camp:

• Last night the team was hitting hard

• The O-line looks big and strong

• Several running backs running hard

• QB – the coaches seem to be favoring Drew McDavid over Mahan

Looking forward to Saturday’s scrimmage.